Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real time 2004 xc70 differential fill plug location needed

When I worked on my Haldex, I had to replace the temp/pressure sensor. Not too bad a job and the part wasn't too expensive ($125?) relative to the other parts of the Haldex. The fluid had to be drained/re-filled but I had a helluva time removing the fill plug. After trying several penetrants, I finally had success by applying small flame to the bolt but this is risky because there's wires in the area which can easily melt. I fashioned a temporary heat shield which kinda worked but the outer plastic insulation on one of the wires got very soft.

There's a couple of youtube videos I watched showing how to take the Haldex apart and replace the different components. But be careful because this Haldex has gone thru a few updates (II, III, IV...). One of the vids I watched I think was for a more recent Haldex version than on my '07 and the tech was able to access the Haldex FILTER relatively easily. I believe the filter was located on the passenger side of the unit. On my car, the filter is located ON TOP of the Haldex and requires a lot more work to get to. Just a word of warning. If you watch a few vids/look at some diagrams of the Haldex, you should be able to look under your car and identify the location of your filter before you take things apart.

Good luck!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Here is the location of the Haldex 3 fill plug

It faces the driver's side.

You can fill with Haldex oil but only get a small amount siphoned out if you're replacing the fluid. To drain the Haldex 3 you have to remove it's oil pump which also requires dropping the drivehsaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190222_173452.jpg  

Thanks, I did find the plug. I live off grid and the car travels about 8 miles of dirt road to get to town. During the winter and monsoon periods of summer the mud is terrible. The plug was hidden by mud. I have to pressure wash the Haladex before changing the fluid and filter. I am in the middle of changing the rear differential oil now. I pulled out 450 ml before the syringe was sucking air. Thus far have put 800 ml in and it's still not running out. The car is on 12 inch high ramps. I think I will jack up the front and level it out and sse what happens. Pretty sure 800ml is more then enough.
    Will post back again after Haladex is serviced.
    Thanks again

OK, got the Haladex cleaned. Was going to attempt to change out the filter. Got a 4mm x 1/4 hex bit and low an behold, another person had stripped out the hex hole on the lower bolt or it was replaced with a different one. The 4mm hex won't hold. At this point, unless I can find a hex that will fit, I will probably just change out as much oil as possible. Because the hex tool won't fit, it makes me believe the unit has been serviced in the past. The car has near 230,000 on it. No oil leaks at all.
    Will update again after seeing if I can suck the oil out.
    Thank all of you again.

Are you referring to the two hex bolts on the DEM? People have mentioned those bolts can be difficult to remove due to salt, corrosion, rust. Maybe a previous owner/tech tried to work on it as you suggest. Luckily I didn't have problems with those bolts when I had to replace the temp/pressure sensor. It was the Haldex oil fill bolt that was stubborn. The oil in my Haldex was very clean (light and clear) in my 07 which I bought with 200k miles so after I drained it I decided to reuse it. Now I've got a $34 jug of unopened Haldex oil lying around.

The bevel gear oil was brown and smelled bad so that got replaced. I guess I gotta check/replace the rear differential oil. The fill bolt I think is pretty close to the Haldex fill.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

No, not the bolts/ screws on the DEM . The small bolts that hold the Haladex filter cap /cover on. I believe I have version 2 of the Haladex. The top bolt of the cover is almost impossible to access with the drive shaft in. The lower bolt is more accessible, but the hex hole in it is bigger then 4mm. May have been stripped out. I am thinking of removing the shaft at the rear, but not sure if there is enough play to get it loose from the hub. Really don't want to take the entire shaft out.. My diff and angle gear oils were dark, but not near as bad as I thought they would be. Also the Haladex filter cover is the new style with the fins. With the bolt hex hole being augered out and the cover being the new style, makes me believe it has had past service.

Thanks Brad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12