Default Nokian worry resolved

Some of you senior members may remember the problems of cupping that I had with the Scorpion replacements: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. The switch to Nokians was a nice transformation - not least of which was the relatively quiet ride. Recently, the dreaded road noise gradually re-started. I thought perhaps it was my imagination as being over sensitized to tire noise. Anyway, I let the dealer take a look especially since I was leaving on a long trip. Sure enough, the noise was there but it wasn't the tires. I had the THIRD replacement wheel bearing installed under warranty. The phantom noise has gone and Nokian tranquility reigns again on the 1100 mile first leg of the trip!
    2001 XC silver/brown-taupe. All the bells and whistles.
    Nokian WR 235-60-16

1975 Mercedes 450 SL silver/black

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Wheel Bearing Noise

I have what sounds like either a wheel bearing or differential problem as well. The howl starts at ~80 kph and is present on deceleration and acceleration. It is particularly pronounced on a gradual right hand turn on the highway. The slight extra pressure always brings on the noise. Level can be clearly heard above a normal radio setting.

Does this emulate your situation as well Prepo? I would normally take it to the local Calgary dealer but they are real amateurs when it comes to fixing problems.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

You may have a problem with the front left wheel bearing. I had an increased drone (not a howl) on left hand bends due to the faulty front right bearing! If the noise has been getting gradually louder and if you have no reason to suspect tire cupping, it is much more likely to be the bearings causing the problem rather than the transmission which I believe is relatively more bullet proof.

My dealer has no trouble in testing the bearings on the hoist with the wheels able to freely rotate. You should not have to suffer any increased road noise as normal - I recommend you have all the bearings checked even though the more recent models supposedly have improved design of bearings. Volvo will authorize replacement under warranty, otherwise a new bearing installed will set you back many hundreds of dollars. Good luck, John.
    Nokian WR 235-60-16

Default michelins

Hi Prepo,

Good to hear the Nokians are holding up better than the Michelins. Did you ever find out behind the reason for the excessive cupping of the michelins, or are these tires just prone to cupping?

I am getting close to replacing my first set of -slightly cupped- pirelli S/Ts at 30k miles and am reviewing all the options (again).

The michelins on paper look like a great -albeit expensive- replacement for a spirited XC driver

Then again, for roughly the same amount of money of the michelins I could get a set of light weight 17" wheels and pirelli Pzero Nero M&S tires at tire rack
    2008 V70 2.4 Classic Sports Edition

No. Michelin did not tell me the results of the tests. The cupping was of the saw tooth type and caused a lot of road noise. They were good if expensive tires up to that time and I don't know whether they are particularly prone. I did have the alignment checked by the Volvo dealer and it was spot on. Since Michelin kindly gave me a prorated refund not tied to buying MIchelin replacements I didn't want to tempt fate so I went with new Nokians as actually highly recommended by the Michelin expert agent sent to iinspect the faulty tires.

Since then, my independent tire dealer has installed many Nokians. He says thet there is really no competition in an all weather tire. Last week I had the tires inspected when I had a slow leak fixed as caused by a roofing nail. The wear is quite acceptable. I have since driven 1500 miles from snow and ice to warm weather in Georgia with a flawless Nokian performance.
    Nokian WR 235-60-16