Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Propeller shaft stuck

Anyone have this problem?
    I am taking out the propeller shaft (center support is shot) and I have removed all 12 bolts connecting the front and rear flanges as well as the center support. Now I cannot get the flanges detached at the ends. It seems like they may be rusted on. Is there a trick to this?
    I sprayed some penetrating oil and pounded on the flanges a bit with a rubber mallet. What am I missing?

Thanks all
    2001 v70xc. 215K miles.

Just came across Jeremy's thread about this same issue, so I guess I'm not alone...

If the propeller shaft was never serviced before then it is out of the scope of standard procedure DIY. I would recommend asking a shop to undo the ends for you for a fee.

ELSE...
    You can try following at your own risk provided propeller shaft is rotating rear wheels even if the center support bearing is shot.
    1. securely raise the car on 4 jack-stand -- do not remove the wheels.
    2. only remove bolts at the rear VC flange
    3. soak the connection with PB Blaster for few hours
    4. tap around the VC flange gently
    5. run the car in reverse gear - beware and stay clear of risk - keep your foot on the brake and release. DO NOT GIVE GAS.
    6. stop and check for signs of breaking loose, if not loosened, then repeat step 4
    7. run the car in Drive - beware and stay clear of risk - keep your foot on the brake and release - DO NOT USE GAS
    8. repeat step 5 - 7 till you have desire results
    9. align the holes and put the rear screws back on - hand tighten
    10. REPEAT STEPS FOR AG connection.

Once the two ends are broken loose then ONLY you're ready to remove the UNSTUCK propeller shaft using standard procedure.

Patience and safety are your friends.

Tell us if you're successful.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Thanks. That might be risky in my case since my driveway is not level, but it makes sense.
    Nobody has mentioned applying heat. This is not my favorite technique anyway but I am curious that nobody has had success with that. Maybe because of the possibility of cv damage?

Still no luck.
    I managed to raise all 4 wheels with the car secure and tried the Xheart procedure above. The damn thing is not budging.
    My intent was to just use the car in 2wd since the car needs a lot cosmetically anyway, but interestingly the center bearing itself feels smooth and solid.

I'll soak the rear again with Pb and give it another shot tomorrow.

G

Mine was stuck when I did the angle gear. Some heat from a torch, a bit of penetrating oil, and a rap with a hammer, and it was free.

PB’laster is utterly worthless by the way. Complete garbage. A triumph of marketing hyperbole over actual performance.

Best penetrant is a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Next best is liquid wrench, or Kroil. I use, and recommend, Kroil.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

No kidding. That is the first time I have heard that about PB. I'll confiscate the wife's nail polish remover and give that a try. Acetone is big-time flammable, correct?

Everyone has preferences with penetrants based on successes or failures of this or that brand, any penetrant or lubricant works better than nothing at all.

A combination of a fair amount of heat, various penetrants and pounding finally got the rear off.
    Not so much clearance on the front however for either heating or pounding. So close, but not home yet...

Haldex flange has a few threaded holes one the back, you can thread couple of bolts (M8?) through them and push the prop.shaft's CV joint out.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast