Default Do we really need this service?

We just had a 105,000 mile service on our 10-year old XC70, plus alignment. The Volvo service person said that given the age and mileage of the Volvo they strongly recommend replacement of the drive belt, belt tensioner, idle pulley, and water pump. The cost is on the order of $2,000 including labor.

Independent on-line auto forums note that malfunction of the drive belt and related parts could severely damage the engine. Do you think we should do this? There are independent service shops out there that can probably do it for less.

First, let's get clear about the fact that this I-6 engine depends on 2 different drives:

Timing Chain - keeps valves & pistons synchronized; steel, expected to serve for life of engine

Accessory Belt - reinforced rubber, drives alternator, power-steering pump, AC compressor....belt fail will force a roadside tow truck.
    Replacement schedule: 120K or 150K, 10 years

You're at 10 years. Any Volvo shop is going to counsel the Accessory Belt job (which includes the belt, idler and tensioner). Many owners elect to replace the water pump at this juncture bc it's easily accessible. If you risk putting it off, at least you know what risk you're taking. If you go to an indie shop, you risk them installing aftermarket parts. It's better to order genuine Volvo parts online, then specify their use by the shop.

What you read online applies to the pre-2008 model years of XC70 with 2.5T engine. The timing chain was one major improvement with the 2008 I-6 3.2 engine.
    (A TB fail on these pre-2008 engines destroys the valves -- major nightmare.)
    Last edited by pbierre; 05-13-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: assumed P2 engine based on OP; 2008 is P3

My tensioner recently failed ending up with shredding the sides of the belt and seizing it all up. This was at 95,000 km (about 60k miles). I had the belt, tensioner, idle pulley all replaced with volvo parts but at an indy. Cost was $1600 CDN ($1200 USD). Did not have the water pump replaced. Did not think it necessary at 95k. Maybe I should have but $1600 was enough. Mechanic said it was about 6 hours labour as it is in tight confines.

Failure was not catastrophic. When it finally failed, loss of power steering immediately and overheating in short order so as long as you don't continue to drive you should be okay. Overheat warnings came on (no temp gauge) and they need to be heeded.

With dealers you can always try and negotiate. If you really want to do it tell them you would like to get it done but need them to really work with you on the price. However before doing that keep in mind that it is always a gamble with those things because you just never know. I have done a lot of my own work but I had our dealer do our timing belt, tensioner, water pump, drive belt and tensioner on our V70 5cyl and they were able to do it for around $1400 I believe.

I know you're talking drive belt for your engine but mine was a 5cyl and was approaching the timing belt interval.

I tried to be preventative so I wouldn't have to worry about any issues and play it safe.

Engine suddenly went within 10,000 miles after I put all that money into the engine LOL.

For me it was a waste of money I threw away and wish I didn't but I had no idea.

My point is you can go above and beyond and think you're doing a great thing and anything can happen, engine or transmission could go, radiator cracks and leaks causing engine damage, car could get totaled.

My rule is that when I don't do something myself I have to get a good deal from the dealer or I won't do it.

Personally, I am not a fan of independent shops. In my opinion most usually use inferior parts and in my experience the work is just not as good as the dealer if you're as particular about your vehicles as I am.

Keep in mind these water pumps can last and could last 200K but you never know. If it does fail prematurely it can leak coolant and cause engine damage so that would be a risk.

If you want to play it cheap you can see what the best deal on just the serpentine belt would be.

Quote Originally Posted by mynewvolvoexp View Post
    With dealers you can always try and negotiate. If you really want to do it tell them you would like to get it done but need them to really work with you on the price. However before doing that keep in mind that it is always a gamble with those things because you just never know. I have done a lot of my own work but I had our dealer do our timing belt, tensioner, water pump, drive belt and tensioner on our V70 5cyl and they were able to do it for around $1400 I believe.

I know you're talking drive belt for your engine but mine was a 5cyl and was approaching the timing belt interval.

I tried to be preventative so I wouldn't have to worry about any issues and play it safe.

Engine suddenly went within 10,000 miles after I put all that money into the engine LOL.

For me it was a waste of money I threw away and wish I didn't but I had no idea.

My point is you can go above and beyond and think you're doing a great thing and anything can happen, engine or transmission could go, radiator cracks and leaks causing engine damage, car could get totaled.

My rule is that when I don't do something myself I have to get a good deal from the dealer or I won't do it.

Personally, I am not a fan of independent shops. In my opinion most usually use inferior parts and in my experience the work is just not as good as the dealer if you're as particular about your vehicles as I am.

Keep in mind these water pumps can last and could last 200K but you never know. If it does fail prematurely it can leak coolant and cause engine damage so that would be a risk.

If you want to play it cheap you can see what the best deal on just the serpentine belt would be.
    Indie shops can usually be counted on to do mechanical work not involving Volvo on-board software. You can avoid the problem of aftermarket parts substitution by purchasing the Volvo parts needed online, and then go to the indie just for labor.