Default 16k km service interval? Wha?

Hi everyone,

Can someone enlighten me here: when did this madness start with the 16k oil changes? I see a lot of threads and people talking about 5-7k (miles) as a normal service interval for 2000s xcs and this is something I’m used to. But I just bought a 15.5 xc70 and it only had 4 oil changes in 3.5 years it’s been around! As per manual, as per what volvo recommends. I mean what? A car with a turbo? Has anyone have any insight on how the t6s behave if I was to keep this up? Plus why would volvo recommend this if it craps out the car in the long run? Maybe I should just extend the warranty up to wazoo and let them deal with the fallout?
    Anyone?

Thanks.

Some automotive engineers have been influenced by spent oil analysis reports to elongate the oil change interval. But, it's prevention of sludge buildup in the PCV system that's the factor to be concerned about. The thinking is that the oil vapors that constantly inhabit the crankcase become stickier as the oil picks up smoke particles (the reason oil darkens with mileage), and the stickier the fumes, the faster gunk builds up in the PVC system. Now, if someone did a study of deposits left behind in the PCV (e.g. breather box) vs. oil change frequency, that would be informative. But, there's no question that the gunk deposits found there are black, not the amber color of fresh oil, so this supports the conclusion about vapor stickiness going up as oil darkens. Car owners who are aware of PCV sludge and its prevention use the color of engine oil to judge when it needs changing....certainly before 10k miles (16k km).

It's well established that using 100% synthetic oil is recommended to keep the PCV functioning optimally the longest.

not to hi-jack but...............what type of oil are you/they using? High mileage synth blend or full synth?

Quote Originally Posted by dino2000 View Post
    ....what type of oil are you/they using? High mileage synth blend or full synth?
    When Volvo went from 7500 mile service intervals to 10,000 (2012?) They specified full synthetic for oil changes @ 10k intervals instead of regular oil @ 7500 miles

For the 3.2 and T6 engines, Volvo recommends 100% synthetic that meets the ACEA A5/B5 spec, 5W-30 for most climate regions, and 0W-30 for regions with deep-freeze starting conditions.

For my T6s in California, I use LiquiMoly 5W-30. My oil change interval varies from 6K-7.5K mi, based on how dark the oil appears on a paper towel.

I have a 2009 XC70 3.2L engine with 356,000 km. Every 12,000 I have change engine oil and replaced the filter as per the Volvo maintenance schedule. To date the engine performs well and has no oil leaks. The 3.2 litre engine holds 7.5 litres of oil which is the reason the oil change interval is 12,000 km. My 2001 V40 had a 1.8 litre engine with turbo, it held 5.5 litres of oil and oil change was every 12,000 km for 275,000 km. The turbo lasted the full life of vehicle. My 2017 Frontier has a 4.0 litre engine, it holds 5.0 litres of synthetic oil and oil change is every 8,000 km. My mother's 2012 Corolla had a 1.8 litre engine, it held 4.0 litres of semi-synthetic oil and oil change was every 8,000 km. Large oil capacities per litre displacement means longer interval to oil change which is the case for Volvo.

I have also followed Volvo's oil recommendation for transmission, both differentials and Haldex which is "sealed for life". That said when I got to 300,000 km I changed the transmission oil for the first time and it was fine. A bit dark but no loss of lubricity. I also changed the rear differential and Haldex oils at 300,000 km and they were also fine. I have not changed the front differential and at 356,000 km it is work great. As an engineer this Volvo "Seal for Life" mystified me, but now I am a believer. However a cool temperate climate also tends to help with oil life

In summary large oil capacities in small displacement engines will achieve longer interval to oil changes and this is the case with Volvos.