Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Too many stone dents in radiator; poor airflow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XC70-Radiator.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	8958When I bought my '13 T6 late last year, I didn't inspect the radiator. Approximately 50% of the fins are flattened by stone dents. As the hot weather returned this week, I decided to read out the coolant temp with my OBD-II scanner. It wavered between 95-100 C (ambient 27 C), which is getting close to the boiling point of 106 C.

I found a great You Tube video showing how to remove the front bumper assy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNcD67ib4Tk&t=852s
    The dents in the radiator fins were extensive. These radiators have very fragile, thin aluminum fins -- a bb-size stone is enough to leave a crater.
    The plastic "fin comb" I bought online was useless, and I ended up using the point of an awl to open up the fins where smashed flat. We're talking several hours of tedium. Several times I wondered if dropping in a new radiator might be easier.

As a test of airflow, I used a shop vac, pressing the hose end against the radiator to gauge the suction force. The most heavily pocked areas put up so much resistance to airflow that the hose glued to the surface -- after depocking, the vacuum hose breaks free, as you would expect with good airflow.

Put back together, I retested the coolant temp....got a steady 88 C. This is back to normal.

Next time I buy a used Volvo, add one more visual inspection item. It's weird enough that Volvo eliminated the temp. gauge, but come to find out the radiator is prone to stone-dent degradation.
    Last edited by pbierre; 04-21-2019 at 12:01 PM.