Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Consumption

Update from Loma:
    After opening a case with Volvo Cars USA, the Volvo dealership and Volvo Cars USA decided it wants to check the engine oil every 2,500 miles...that I should bring the CPO car back so they can monitor consumption. My notes on engine oil consumption did not matter to Volvo, no, they want to begin their own base line. Okay. No response to additives installed as part of an oil service performed by Volvo two months prior. No response to whether this voids the warranty. They did not mention how many 2,500 intervals they would like to see my car, but you know what, it doesn't really matter in light of the car's other long-term problem: a shake/vibration when driving over 60 mph.

For this vibration problem, noticed a couple weeks after purchase, I returned to Volvo several times in one year wherein they cannot seem to recreate the vibration I experience daily. Even when driving with a volvo tech, they dont feel it. Tires and wheels balanced, road force balanced several times and rotated. Vibration continues. Volvo does not look beyond the wheel and tire. Four services later, having opened a case, Volvo Cars USA says bring it to the dealer so they can drive it...again. The service foreman writes 'the vibration is typical to this year and model.' That sounds like a known problem.

In my letter and documentation to Volvo Cars I said that after twenty years as a customer, and having gotten a car with potentially two known problems, I would like to work with them on a suitable replacement vehicle and to remain a customer. I did not ask for the moon or a new car, did not want admission of fault, and as always was respectful and clear. I'd hoped that they'd at least consider taking the car back with some sort of goodwill gesture toward a trade-in, you know, retain the twenty-year customer. Volvo Cars told me it would take extraordinary circumstances to return a vehicle...that they are sorry. The twenty years? Sorry. That doesn't matter. Any negotiation or further discussion on trade-in? A hard No. Sorry.

This is the used car racket. As someone already stated, the CPO program is BS. Still, it is odd to me they want nothing to do with the vehicle they sold me. By not taking it back--even at fair KBB value--they're implying the car isn't worth the time. That it is a problem vehicle with, potentially, a voided warranty, they want nothing to do with.

I can trade the car someplace or keep it a while more. There's no rush. With no further recourse from Volvo, what would you do?

Cheers!
    Last edited by Loma Prieta; 06-27-2019 at 04:59 PM.

If you've asked the Volvo Dealer for your copy of the CPO Inspection Report, and they refuse to produce one, my sense is that is your only legal grounds to have the sale reversed. If you read my earlier post about this report, I attached a blank report so you can see what it looks like. If the dealer is selling a used Volvo as CPO, but lacks documentation of the CPO Inspection, and can't provide the buyer with a copy, then ask Volvo Cars USA for their help in getting the sale reversed. You will probably have to threaten to sue the dealer if they won't take the car back for a refund. Be absolutely sure the CPO Inspection Report was not bundled with your sales contract before dropping the hammer.

Hi Pbierre--
    I asked Volvo Cars USA for a few things, one being the CPO Report. They did not acknowledge the request. I did, however, request their assistance in locating a suitable replacement vehicle. You know, some sort of goodwill gesture toward a trade that'd keep the twenty-year customer happy, Volvo looks good, all that crap. Reversing the sale, as you suggested, would have been okay to me. They flat out said no...that extraordinary circumstances are needed for that to happen. In fact, there was no discussion between me and Volvo Cars USA. I spoke with a representative who ostensibly is a reporter and has no capacity to make decisions. They made their decision not to work with me upon reading my letter.

Volvo Cars USA apparently missed the major points of my letter to them. 1] I did enough services (five) in one year attempting to solve the vehicle vibration problem and did not want to remain on this course, and 2] as a solution, indicated I want to remain a customer with a replacement vehicle. Volvo Cars USA lately indicated to me that they're sorry they can't meet my expectation of getting a new car from them. Also, they want me to return the vehicle every 2,500 miles for service. I wanted neither.

I don't see where a suit gets me anything: I will have to pay legal fees. Volvo has made their decision. And I shouldn't have to fight to remain a customer. It's not worth it. Service Advisor lied to my face, Volvo Cars USA missed the intent and spirit of my letter to them. I'm the only one who wants to remain a Volvo customer. They know all of this and remain uncommitted to the customer and their product. Volvo Cars USA is happy if I continue driving a faulty car.

Ideally, I return the car to the dealership's other company--Toyota--as trade. This way the service dept continues servicing the car and hearing the same complaints for same problems but from the next owner.
    Last edited by Loma Prieta; 07-03-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Update:
    Volvo reimbursed me for the cost of both oil changes. The engine oil consumption is one quart per 2,500 at last check, despite the oil additive done at service in April 2019.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12