Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Consumption

Default Oil Consumption

Greetings all.
    Among other minor inconveniences, I informed Volvo service that my '15.5 T6 xc70 burns 1 quart oil per 2,500 miles. Mileage at this time was 63,000. The 60,000 mile service was completed four months prior at 57,500 miles. The Certified Pre-Owned vehicle was purchased ten months prior at which time the 50,000 mile service was completed (oil change included). The tech appeared to have heard this complaint before. Volvo tech said they no longer perform piston ring changes, instead using engine oil additives (BG Extended Life MOA) as part of an 'Engine Performance Restoration Kit'. Although the oil additive is much cheaper than a piston ring overhaul job I was not informed I would be charged for this service. Additionally, Volvo

Although I own the vehicle, I am not the cause of this problem. I believe the $170 should be returned to me. Thoughts on recourse I might pursue?

Moreover, this engine has an oil consumption problem, right? By comparison, my '05 xc70 barely burned oil and did not require additives or restoration kits in the thirteen years I owned it. I realize the '05 has a different engine.

I feel I was sold a defective vehicle. Your thoughts on this?

I think you have a good case to force Volvo to repair the engine under the CPO program.

First, don't jump to conclusions about how the oil is being consumed. This is a Turbo, so it's possible that there is an oil leak in the turbo unit...the oil gets burned the same as a sloppy ring. An endoscopic inspection of each cylinder with the spark plug removed can determine if the leak is a ring problem. If the spark plugs are fouled, this alone would be grounds for repair, or returning the car. Did you obtain the CPO inspection report when you bought the car? If not, ask for it.

If the local Volvo dealer won't respect your complaint, then escalate by taking the problem to Volvo Cars USA. You could possibly build a case on the pollution from oil burning -- cite the ULEV-II (or ULEV-III) emissions standard that is claimed for the vehicle. Ask Volvo USA for a copy of the ULEV-II Test Report for your 2015.5 T6. There's a sticker underside of the hood giving the emission standard your Volvo was built to.
    Last edited by pbierre; 04-21-2019 at 08:07 AM.

I am no expert on the subject but Volvo seems to be pretty flaky on this issue of oil consumption. They seem to either want to overfill by a quart or in your case, and no doubt others, use an additive. I find the latter very interesting since the XC70 owner's manual specifically states, "Oil additives must not be used." I also read that BG Extended Life MOA will reduce the life of detergents. I have no experience with this product, however.

Each dealer is an independent franchise. I would imagine some of them are conscientious and some of them are unscrupulous.

You may find that Volvo Cars US defers to the dealer in which case you'll keep getting the same song and dance. I hope you get some remedy that is more satisfactory than what has been described.

What was the $170 for? Your first paragraph seems to be incomplete.

The $170 is the cost for the 'Engine Performance Restoration Kit'.

I too was surprised at how quickly Volvo Service went against Volvo recommendation of not using oil additives. Seems they've voided their own warranty!

Have you taken any action yet? Have you contacted Volvo?

I suppose the thing to do first is, as pbierre suggested, try to determine where the oil is going. Any progress on that?

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    I think you have a good case to force Volvo to repair the engine under the CPO program.
    Did you obtain the CPO inspection report when you bought the car? If not, ask for it.
    Ha! So I wasn’t paranoid after all!

I just bought a 15.5 xc70 t6 and it seemed a bit fishy that the only place the CPO was mentioned was on my bill of sale. No report, no nothing. I still have to keep reminding them about the service records they promised me and never delivered...
    Is this report a standard procedure that is to be uniformly followed by dealearships selling a CPO car? Or is there a wiggle room? I’m really interested.

Thanks! And hey, good luck with your legal battle Loma Prieta!

I found this form that Volvo has used for recording the CPO inspection:

https://www.cstatic-images.com/image...inspection.pdf

Looking it over, I see the engine inspection does not check cylinders for compression. I don't see anything in this inspection that would detect a condition of excess oil consumption where it's going out the tailpipe combusted. I think I overstated your bargaining position in my early post. Having bought 2 CPOs from Volvo dealers, I remember the contract being clear about the car being sold "as is" having gone through their CPO inspection.

I've had Volvos (850s) that went thru 1 qt. every 1000 miles. Yours is every 2500. The best case P3 engine would be a quart down at 8K miles.

I could see some concern about whether one cylinder is the leak point, and the spark plug becoming fouled. You could get a compression test and spark plug inspection done. Or, just trust the on-board diagnostics to pipe up if one cylinder begins misfiring.

BTW, look at the bottom of the CPO Inspection Form. The White Copy is supposed to go to the customer. Check whether it was attached to your purchase contract bundle. If not, point out the omission to the dealer's General Sales Manager who sold you the car. You are entitled to your copy.
    Last edited by pbierre; 05-12-2019 at 10:34 AM.

I have contacted Volvo and will notify this group of how the oil problem and another issue resolves.

Despite the sale of a CPO being as-is and the engine inspection not checking cylinder compression, my case and possible others like it may alert Volvo to the need for more thorough inspection criteria.
    Last edited by Loma Prieta; 05-14-2019 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loma Prieta View Post
    I have contacted Volvo and will notify this group of how the oil problem and another issue resolves.

Despite the sale of a CPO being as-is and the engine inspection not checking cylinder compression, my case and possible others like it may alert Volvo to the need for more thorough inspection criteria.
    On the CPO Inspection Form, it says if they obtain the car without service documentation, they're supposed to do a compression test....did you notice that? That might be your cudgel -- demand to see proof of service history for the car they sold you, and if "none available", demand they finish the missing CPO item, then furnish your copy of the report. If they balk, you can escalate to Volvo USA.

I hate to break it to you guys but in my opinion CPO is kind of BS. I think a dealer has discretion to make almost any newer vehicle they want within mileage CPO if they feel it’s justified to help sell the vehicle.

I'm not saying this against Volvo I think it's like this with all brands.

In fact I’ll start out with a funny NON Volvo example . . .

My dad purchased a vehicle from another brand that I won't mention. He realized it had like 200 more HP from all kinds of aftermarket upgrades LOL. Certified preowned my *** obviously the dealer just put it out there and marked it CPO.

I purchased a 2005 V70 CPO with around 34,000 miles.

Dealer was bragging about it being CPO which was why I purchased it anyway but I noticed sludge underneath the oil cap itself and the transmission fluid was black. They told me it was normal and I told them it was not. I made them change the transmission fluid and do another oil change before I would sign the papers.

I would have passed it up if there was another one like it in the color we wanted.

We had a check engine light later and found the MAP sensor wasn’t properly connected.

I used fully synthetic motor oil and changed the oil prematurely the first several oil changes then it started consuming oil later on at higher mileage around the same amount.

The engine went without warning around 140K pretty damn good for an engine that in my opinion cheap oil must have been used by the original dealer that was servicing it before we purchased.

The engine actually kept working and running but we would get the reduced performance message or reduce speed message with a misfire code.

I tried new plugs and coils before taking it to the dealer to be sure.

I think if I remember correctly the dealer wanted like $850 to tear down the engine just to see if they could do a valve job and the cost for a valve job was like an additional $5800. I said yeah right.

We ended up purchasing a new engine. Dealer I believe originally wanted like nearly $14,000 if I’m not mistaken but I got it done for $9,000 after some hard negotiation. That will give you an idea of what a new engine could cost in the future.

We did it because aside from another issue it was a great vehicle.

I actually have an article page on my website about issues and things we ended up having to actually pay for under warranty although CPO for a good laugh just to give you an idea . . .

http://www.mynewvolvoexperience.com/...experience.htm

In my opinion it’s likely not the turbo unless you’re blowing smoke and probably the engine.

In my personal opinion the additive is likely a cheap way for Volvo to cut warranty costs and I would be upset if that were me. I thought Volvo used to be very good about covering engines even beyond warranty in some cases.

After what happened with the replacement leather dash we received in our new XC70 as shown on my website and Volvo’s response I now feel like Volvo may be trying to cut warranty costs.

My advice would be to continue to closely monitor, document and save invoices showing you brought this to their attention in case it does go soon after the warranty expires and I would keep pushing.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can get this resolved!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast