Default Tire Press System Service Required

I have tried searching on the forum. 2007 with 200k miles.....

I keep getting the captioned message periodically. This last time it has not turned off. What is the typical reason? I am thinking it is a faulty sensor(s) due to the age? I replaced one due to it leaking air but no others since new that I am aware of.

I dint have a VADIS

Any insights appreciated. Thanks!
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Have you checked the air pressure of your spare?
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Quote Originally Posted by BillAileo View Post
    Great question. No, will do that. That said when I have low pressure in a tire I don't recall getting a message, only the yellow tire light. This message seems to say something is wrong with the system. The tire light also flashes for awhile then goes solid after a few minutes....trying to post a picture from my phone but not working.
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque

Quote Originally Posted by BillAileo View Post
    The spare DOES NOT have a tire pressure sensor in any Volvo. Volvo uses a sensor built into/attached to the tire valve. 99.9% of low tire pressure warning are caused by ------ Low tire pressure.

We had to calibrate our gauges at the shop to a known good digital gauge. My expensive gauge that attaches to an air line indicates 3 psi too high -
    But i have seen a few bad sensors, and they can be easily damaged when removing the tire from the wheel - or from corrosion in northern/salty climates. A new sensor from Volvo is about $100 (ouch)

New sensors do not require any programming other than driving. Vida can help with diagnosis - there are codes stored in the UEM related to signal missing or low battery voltage for each sensor, but it Vida does not tell you where the sensor is located. (right front lf, lr, rr)

There are stand alone tire pressure sensor scanners, the cheapest is about $2000. Most large tire stores should have one and they can easily check the signal from each sensor to determine if it is working.
    Last edited by hoonk; 04-08-2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Correct Vida diagnostic info

I'm assuming these 2007 Volvo P2s use an active (internal-battery-powered) wireless transmitter mounted inside the tire.

Could it be that the tiny battery has failed? It's supposed to be a "lifetime" battery, but the car is 12 years old. If so, then the wireless receiver would not be receiving anything from that one tire....different from receiving a low-pressure reading.

Here's another clue from Volvo Cars Gilbert AZ:

"If you've had the tires on your modern Volvo replaced, then you probably recall the fee involving the sensors in each wheel. Replacing the tires offers a prime opportunity to replace the seal on these sensors, which are often connected to the valve stem. These sensors are also powered with a battery that will eventually need to be replaced. When the battery or sensor is replaced, a special computer is required to reconnect the sensor to the TPMS computer. If the sensors aren't properly paired, the car will give you a message or warning to check the TPMS system."

That sounds like the message you're getting.
    Last edited by pbierre; 04-08-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Huh. I have a 2007. It's been through several sets of tires on 2 different sets of wheels... never had anyone mention a tire pressure sensor. Is TPMS an option or maybe a USA-car thing?

edit: learned something!

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/.../07xc70_07.htm

page 162

NOTE: If a fault occurs in TPMS, the tire pressure warning light will flash for approximately 1 minute and TIRE PRESS SYST SERVICE REQUIRED will be displayed.

The message I am getting is not a low pressure message. This is a different message which I have written above. At this point I am guessing one if the sensors is not being picked up at all due to a bad battery or failed sensor.

Can just the battery be replaced or does the whole sensor need replacing?

Quote Originally Posted by 8pack View Post
    The message I am getting is not a low pressure message. This is a different message which I have written above. At this point I am guessing one if the sensors is not being picked up at all due to a bad battery or failed sensor.

Can just the battery be replaced or does the whole sensor need replacing?
    Whole sensor.
    I have yet to see a tire pressure sensor that has replaceable batteries. I have worked for three dealers, different brands and no sensors can be opened. They are sealed to be able to read the tire pressure and survive in the tire.
    Most literature I have seen says ten years is generally the life span of the sensors/batteries.

The battery can be replaced, but it requires some surgery.
    There are how-to's on Youtube, search for "tpms battery replacement".
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)