Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2004 XC70 Won't start

Hi there,

I parked my car at work for a few weeks without driving it. The fuel range said 40km to empty when I parked it. I went to start it today and it seemed to be out of fuel since it was parked on a downgrade. I put about 20 litres in and it fired right up. Driving home it bucked and then the tach went out. Then the speedo and then the abs/brake system warning came on. It also wouldn't shift. It seemed to start out in 3rd gear (the gear indicator was also out) and stay there. I got home but now it will turn over but not fire. The battery is at 12.5 volts and I grounded out the terminals but still no start. Any ideas?

I'd consider a load test on the battery. Leaving it a few weeks without starting could have drained the battery down too far and it's a little weak. Many auto parts places will do a load test for free.

I did have it on a charger and brought the volts up to 13.3 with no change.It seems to turn over fine. Could the battery still be a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by TankerYanker View Post
    I did have it on a charger and brought the volts up to 13.3 with no change.It seems to turn over fine. Could the battery still be a possibility?
    Yeah, you should really have something closer to 13.8 or so and I do know these cars are critical when it comes to both correct voltage and current. Keep in mind that it is possible to show correct voltage but be low on amperage as a result of a damaged battery. You lose current if plates short out due to heat or cold damage. Considering the weather lately, is it possible that the battery could have frozen? You're in the GTA, right? Didn't they see some pretty cold temps this winter?

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

It cranks fine?, check for fuel next, go through the procedure to narrow down the problem, then spark, plug in a OBD2 reader and see what's going on with it.

I think I'll go in and get the battery load tested. I got home from work just now and it fired right up. I let it run for maybe 10 minutes and took it for a spin. It started out well but then everything went downhill. Same issues...lost my tach and gauges, ABS and brake system failure came on and it wouldn't shift properly. It did fire back up in the driveway this time but wouldn't start out in 1st gear and the gauges were still dead. We have had some wild temperature swings here so maybe the battery is pooched. I'll post back when I know the battery condition.

Thanks all for your input..

If you have a voltmeter, you can do a kind of load test yourself (with the aid of an assistent).
    Measure the voltage at the battery while crancking the engine.
    The voltage best shouldn't drop below 11V and rebound to nominal value when stopped crancking
    (if the engine hasn't started).
    Last edited by Willy; 03-21-2019 at 09:07 AM.
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TankerYanker View Post
    I think I'll go in and get the battery load tested. I got home from work just now and it fired right up. I let it run for maybe 10 minutes and took it for a spin. It started out well but then everything went downhill. Same issues...lost my tach and gauges, ABS and brake system failure came on and it wouldn't shift properly. It did fire back up in the driveway this time but wouldn't start out in 1st gear and the gauges were still dead. We have had some wild temperature swings here so maybe the battery is pooched. I'll post back when I know the battery condition.

Thanks all for your input..
    Do you have any lights on on the dash. Anything in the "Message Center"? All of your symptoms match up with what I had in a '02 XC when it lost its alternator but in that case I had a "Power Systems" message. In this case though I'm betting you have a shorted battery.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

When multiple control modules fail at the same time, that suggests either a 12V power disruption, or a problem with CANbus network communication.

Keep your OBD-II scanner device handy, and pull over and plug it in when the car is running weird. If it can't connect, then the CANbus is hung. If it connects, you should be seeing multiple fault codes.

I put in a new battery and no change. There is a "BRAKE FAILURE STOP SAFELY" message in the message centre. Again, it's turning over fine. It doesn't look like the tach is moving while turning over and the clock is out. The gear indicator also does not register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast