Default How does one determine if the Haldex III is working?

I have a 2007 XC70, I believe this means:

Haldex III,
    always 4WD up to 40KM,
    over 40km "pre-loaded" (what ever that means?) so rear wheels engage "instantly" when the fronts slip?

Correct?

Does one determine if Haldex is working by lifting the vehicle and putting in gear?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Brown View Post
    I have a 2007 XC70, I believe this means:

Haldex III,
    always 4WD up to 40KM,
    over 40km "pre-loaded" (what ever that means?) so rear wheels engage "instantly" when the fronts slip?

Correct?

Does one determine if Haldex is working by lifting the vehicle and putting in gear?

Thanks
    Head into some really deep snow with a passenger and get the car buried, have the passenger get out and observe the wheels as you attempt to extract the car, the results will offer the answer if the haldex works or not, this worked for me, but presented another set of problems just getting the car free.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 03-01-2019 at 08:34 PM.

A simpler approach is to roll front wheels onto a test surface with very low traction. Maybe wet some cardboard boxes and freeze them overnight. The P2 Haldex 3 should engage the rear wheels after no more than 1/7 rev of front wheel slippage.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    A simpler approach is to roll front wheels onto a test surface with very low traction. Maybe wet some cardboard boxes and freeze them overnight. The P2 Haldex 3 should engage the rear wheels after no more than 1/7 rev of front wheel slippage.
    My approach was not intentional, I would not recommend it, LOL!