Thread: Error code P301

Default Error code P301

Hi,
    I had one of my ignition replaced a long time ago.
    Now I just got a code P301. Is a cylinder 1 left or right side when you are looking at a motor (you are standing the front of a car)?

Thank you as always!

I thought #1 was closest to the water pump, but I’ve got no documentation on that...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    I thought #1 was closest to the water pump, but I’ve got no documentation on that...
    That's right. I would say common convention has #1 cylinder at the "front" of the engine. Typically where the water pump or crank pulley would be. Now with some of the new engines with things like the cam chains/belts at the rear, then I would think #1 would be at the front of the car. If that type of engine was transverse...well now that is confusing and would suggest looking at "the book".

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Thank you Astro14 and Bill!
    So I think it's the left one which is right next to timing belt and water pump.
    I know I can switch the ignition to find it out, but it's 20F here in NE, so I just replace the one I need to.

Thank you guys as always!

Hi,
    Just replaced it and it's running great now. It was the one right next to a timing belt (P301 code) as you guys told me.
    I don't remember how I loosen a screw for a cover right underneath of an intercooler hose (underneath of strut bar) last time. I didn't have right tool for it today, so it took 20 minutes to figure it out...

It was cold, but sunshine helped me.
    Thank you again guys!

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    That's right. I would say common convention has #1 cylinder at the "front" of the engine. Typically where the water pump or crank pulley would be. Now with some of the new engines with things like the cam chains/belts at the rear, then I would think #1 would be at the front of the car. If that type of engine was transverse...well now that is confusing and would suggest looking at "the book".

Cheers,

Bill
    As with all things automotive there is an exception to pretty much every rule.

Normally the front of the engine (cylinder 1) is going to be at the opposite end from the transmission. V engines normally the #1 cylinder is the furthest forward cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    As with all things automotive there is an exception to pretty much every rule.

Normally the front of the engine (cylinder 1) is going to be at the opposite end from the transmission. V engines normally the #1 cylinder is the furthest forward cylinder.
    One exception that i know of is the Jaguar XK engine where #1 is to the rear, as fitted to many classic Jag's such as the E-Type