Hi

I have been all over the various forums and don’t seem to have come across this issue posted for my particular model. It is a XC70 D5 2009 Tiptronic Auto model. I was driving along and suddenly heard a single knock coming from around the passenger footwell area. The car then lost a bit of power and the ABS and skid control indicator lights came on as well as the red warning triangle and a message stating: Brake Failure Stop Safely.

After coming to a stop I put into Park and tried to switch off the engine. At first it wouldn’t switch off but after pressing the button a few times it switched off but wouldn’t release the key. I tried restarting but no joy.

After organizing a tow truck to my local Volvo mechanic, he at first thought it must be the battery or alternator but none of these showed any issues. Unfortunately his diagnostic equipment couldn’t pick up any communication with the onboard computers. So he sent it next door to an auto electrician who has not had any luck either. He reckons it is likely a loose power cable as it can’t be that 3 of the ECU’s/Comms modules could be broken at once. He has had the car for over a week but is now giving up and suggesting I get it to a proper Volvo dealership whose diagnostic equipment might be able to be better at figuring out the problem. Unfortunately my local Volvo dealership is booked up for the next three weeks, but if I have the car towed there they will see what they can do in terms of squeezing in a diagnostic check.

The only thing that recently happened to me was that my car was mistakenly filled with petrol about 2 weeks prior to this event. But the engine hadn’t been started then as I caught it while it was being filled and it was towed away, drained and flushed and all the filters replaced. So don’t think it could be related.

I see that a similar warning and issue occurs on the P2 model but as far as I can see not on the P3 models. Has anyone come across this issue before on this particular model?

Thanks