Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moonroof / sunroof will not close

Hi,
    My wife noticed a few drops of water from around the sunroof switch area yesterday. Today the sunroof opened and now will not close. The car is a 2004 xc70 with about 1000 miles. I checked fuse 34 but its fine. anyone have a similiar problem?? I was hoping to fix it myself rather then going through the dealer aggrevation!

thanks,
    Steve

Lightbulb Lock and unlock...

On my 2001 XC, it happened to me once when my wife inadvertently locked the doors with the remote from inside the car while the sunroof was open. Out of the car, i locked and unlock the car using the key and the sunroof mechanism worked correctly afterward. FWIW...
    Raynald
    Former owner of a 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue
    Sept 2003 - April 2007
    « Sold » with 167,427 km on the clock, to my stepson...
    Still proudly showing volvoXC.com Sticker for posterity !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo
    Hi,
    My wife noticed a few drops of water from around the sunroof switch area yesterday. Today the sunroof opened and now will not close. The car is a 2004 xc70 with about 1000 miles. I checked fuse 34 but its fine. anyone have a similiar problem?? I was hoping to fix it myself rather then going through the dealer aggrevation!

thanks,
    Steve
    This is a bummer. ...especially so for a brand new car. Keep a positive attitude as I'm sure it can be solved.

The fact there's water around that switch is a serious problem to begin with. Are you sure the SR wasn't open during a rain shower or when passing some errant grass water sprinkler by chance. If not then this would be cause for you to have the Volvo Service Dept look into the issue. A leaking SR isn't good. Mind you. getting water onto the switch would be difficult from above the car as the switch is located inside and forward in the roof. -- very strange.

If after the car has 'dried out' will SR operate at all in either direction?

Try pulling the SR forcefully with your hand in either direction as the motor contact might be in a position that causes no current to flow to the motor device.

It could be that you have a defective SR motor.

If all else fails from a DIY effort you best take time to visit Volvo's Service Dept, if for no other reason to have them record the fact for future waranty claim.

Good luck and post back what you find out.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

All fixed. I called 2 service dept. at Volvo dealers. One (where I bought the car) was horrible as they offered no help and no car loaners and said just bring the car in and they will look at it. The Other-Princeton Volvo solved the problem for me over the phone.

Get in the car and close the doors. Turn on and off the car 5 times. This will reset the computer. The sunroof now works.

Thanks to Princeton Volvo for saving me alot of time from my busy days!!

Steve

Default Yea -- I've done that trick as well

Steve:

Great that you've got your SR back.

The 5 times trick is what my Volvo technician told me about some 4 years ago. It's something about the way they prep cars for the shipping over and config the car so that SR and side windows can't be opened during the journey.

I remember in the dealership's lot the technician did this as my wife said SR wasn't working. I should have remembered this and saved you some grief.

Take care.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

i have a 01 s60 2.4 and the moonroof is open half way and it wont close, also the loght by the monnroof control wont work. the trunk release is not working and neither are the plate lights. can someone please help me

You still need to find out where that water is coming from!

Get a test light, turn ignition to on, and start checking all of the fuses. If you find open ones, look at the fuse legend and that should narrow things down for you. If new fuses blow, then you've got a short somewhere in that circuit. Or, you could try the lock/unlock trick 3 times in the door, but if you've got lights out chances are key cycling won't help.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    You still need to find out where that water is coming from!
    JRL where are the drainage tubes on the XC?
    I can't find any info at all!

Thanks!

Default Check Resources Secion

I had a sunroof leak a couple years ago...got into my car one morning to find water dripping from inside the rear view mirror.

I followed the adjustment instructions in the resources section of this forum, and also lubricated everything I could get at, problem solved. Mirror never fully recovered, as there's still some discoloration, but you have to look real hard.

Then a few months later I shattered the sunroof putting my kayak on the racks in the dark, and again the resources section helped me do the replacement install myself. (To this day I still occasionally come across little cubes of safety glass under the seats and other cracks and crevices, and I know there's quite a bit above the head liner.)

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how...ak-xc90-03.pdf
    http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how..._adjusting.pdf
    http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how...leak_test).pdf
    http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how...s_sun_roof.pdf
    2001 V70xc, Ashgold/
    Sand, Premium Pkg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast