Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help with fuel tank problem

2004 XC70. I've been getting P0442s (small EVAP leak). Replaced the gas cap, but didn't fix it.

Went underneath for an endoscope inspection. Charcoal canister J-hose looks good. But, I noticed
    some gunk buildup around one of the hose bibs on the fuel tank (passenger side). It's the one adjacent to the filler tube
    entrance, and above the tank's seam line. The hose on the bib is about 3/4" OD. The bib is blue plastic.

Does anybody know the purpose of this hose? Is there a schematic of the FUEL and EVAP systems? Mechanical drawing?

Any safety precautions while working on an near-empty fuel tank?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuel tank bib leak.JPG  
    Last edited by pbierre; 12-31-2018 at 05:45 AM.

Default Upon closer inspection, looks like loosened hose clamp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2355.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	8890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2361.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	8889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	8888Got in closer to the action by removing wheel. Seeing gunk trail coming out of hose, a sign the hose clamp has gone lazy.

The hose is a 3" long reducer hose. This appears to be the filler vent hose (allows air to escape when filling tank).

The problem is that there isn't enough room for hand access to work on this repair. Not sure what has to come apart to
    get in there. OK, the brake line hose can be moved. But the problem is deeper in with the rear suspension truss.

And, you can't lower the fuel tank....it sits on top of the Haldex/rear axle.

(very relieved it's not a fuel tank problem)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails labelled pix-sm.jpg   IMG_2352.jpg  
    Last edited by pbierre; 12-31-2018 at 05:54 AM.

My 01 ten years ago was parked facing uphill on sloping drive (30degree) in hot sun 30+C fully fueled (72 L) and the fuel filler 'let go, dumping most of contents onto asphalt! Vida said whole rear end suspension and drive train had to be dropped as precursor to repair (big bucks) in the end I found a non-franchise dealer manned by ex Volvo dealership staff (they were made redundant from their Volvo dealer when the franchise was dropped). They did the job without dismantling anything in 3 days. Please bear this in mind and best of luck to you! Happy New Year to everyone!
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

With the right rear wheel removed, I had the best chance of working to repair this hose connection from the side. The access to work on this hose connection was marginally improved by unbolting the brake-line bracket.

I was able to just fit the Dremel tool in the opening and zip thru the old clamp enough to loosen it. It wasn't necessary to remove it, just push it aside. To mount the new hose clamp, I got one hand thru the opening, with the clamp opened to a "C" shape, pushed it over the hose, and with a long screwdriver, got the threads started on the clamp. This approach was much simpler since it didn't involve taking the hose off the bib. See photo of finished repair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2364.JPG  
    Last edited by pbierre; 01-01-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Arghh! After fixing the photographed leak, I'm still getting P0442s (small EVAP leak).

Can anyone post a mechanical drawing, showing where the EVAP components are located on this 2004 XC70?

Need to be shown locations for: Charcoal canister, J-Hose, EVAP Vent Valve, Rollover valve, EVAP Pressure sensor

When I had my P0442 code on my 2002XC, I replaced the gas cap with a new OEM cap and the code went away. I paid thru the nose for it ($32?) but I was worried that if I went with one of the cheaper replacement brands and I still got the code, I'd be wondering if the problem was somewhere else or was it because I went with a cheaper off-brand cap and it wasn't giving me a good enough seal.

Don't know if you went with a new OEM gas cap. Maybe just something to keep in mind as you check the other EVAP components. Maybe others can give their experiences using the non-OEM caps. good luck, hope you get it sorted out!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    When I had my P0442 code on my 2002XC, I replaced the gas cap with a new OEM cap and the code went away. I paid thru the nose for it ($32?) but I was worried that if I went with one of the cheaper replacement brands and I still got the code, I'd be wondering if the problem was somewhere else or was it because I went with a cheaper off-brand cap and it wasn't giving me a good enough seal.

Don't know if you went with a new OEM gas cap. Maybe just something to keep in mind as you check the other EVAP components. Maybe others can give their experiences using the non-OEM caps. good luck, hope you get it sorted out!
    A Volvo-brand gas cap was the 1st thing I tried.

Pbierre, Here's a link with a good write up and photos. Shows EVAP components and more importantly how to access them for repairs.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=64017

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    Arghh! After fixing the photographed leak, I'm still getting P0442s (small EVAP leak).
    I had a 01 a while back with a similar leak - thought it was the clamp, turned out it was a crack in the fitting or gas tank - found it with a smoke machine (same story, new clamp did not stop leak) Not wanting to remove/replace tank i used something like this - Permatex 09101 Fuel Tank Repair Kit - to fix it. Lasted for a couple of years then had to do it again when epoxy came loose.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    I had a 01 a while back with a similar leak - thought it was the clamp, turned out it was a crack in the fitting or gas tank - found it with a smoke machine (same story, new clamp did not stop leak) Not wanting to remove/replace tank i used something like this - Permatex 09101 Fuel Tank Repair Kit - to fix it. Lasted for a couple of years then had to do it again when epoxy came loose.
    We're talking about the filler vent hose fitting, right? It's at about the 60% fill height of the tank. If tank bib seal were leaky, we should see liquid fuel oozing out plus raw gas smell. I have to fill above 7/8 level to get any raw gas fumes, leading me to believe the leak is something connected up high. Roll-over valve, tank pressure sensor??? Smoke test next week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast