Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default crank, no start, after die in middle of road...

I have 04 XC70, with 190k on it.

The first sign of problem was last week, when I saw gas gauge indicated lower fuel level, I was trying to add gas, only to find out the tank seems full: it keeps jumping the pump. So after some googling, I kind of concluded it might be the fuel sending unit problem and planned to order one later.

Next day , I saw fuel meter shown low fuel light up, and I ignored it. Then while I was driving in the middle of highway, the car die on my!

Got the car towed to home, I thought it might actually be running out of gas, after adding some gas, I tried to start the car, it only crank but not start.

so I pulled the code, and only one I see is CEM-6C48, not other code.

may be the fuel sending unit is bad? will a false reading of no fuel prevent the fuel pump to start ? I pressed the fuel valve on top of the engine, it did not show much pressure, but should there be other code if fuel pump is bad?

Appreciated any advice, I searched CEM-6C48 thread, most are coupled with other code....
    '03 Volvo V70 (totaled by rear ended)
    '04 Volvo XC70 (brought off Ebay for replacement)
    '02 BMW 325i (fun drive)
    '98 BMW F650 (funride)
    '08 Toyota Sienna (family cruiser)

Sounds like you just ran out of gas. It can take quite a bit of cranking to prime the system if you ran it dry. I'm pretty sure I've read about the evaporative emissions system having an issue where the flap in the fuel filler doesn't operate properly and prevents fuel from flowing into the tank when trying to fill it.

To confirm that it is a fuel issue, you can spray some starter fluid into the intake while cranking. If it starts and runs momentarily, then you have spark and all else is good. You just have no fuel.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett San Diego View Post
    Sounds like you just ran out of gas. Brett
    Thanks much! I will give it a try and update later...
    '02 BMW 325i (fun drive)
    '98 BMW F650 (funride)

So, it was showing low on gas.

and you couldn't add any gas.

Then it showed really low on gas.

then it stopped running.

That about cover it?

Sounds to me like you ran out of gas.

Now, a venting/evap system problem that prevents you from filling up is something that you need to address.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Now, a venting/evap system problem .....
    You sum it up perfectly, and also answer my next question where to look for not able adding gas in the first place...

Thanks
    '02 BMW 325i (fun drive)
    '98 BMW F650 (funride)

Thanks for the link, I did a quick check, the vent canister does not seem clogged, but will clean it up.

so far, I have added 2 gallon of gas into the tank, the car still does not fire up. Do I need significant amount of gas after empty tank?
    '02 BMW 325i (fun drive)
    '98 BMW F650 (funride)

Quote Originally Posted by shuv70 View Post
    I have 04 XC70, it.

may be the fuel sending unit is bad? will a false reading of no fuel prevent the fuel pump to start ? I pressed the fuel valve on top of the engine, it did not show much pressure, but should there be other code if fuel pump is bad?
    That car should have a fuel pressure sensor mounted to the left end of the fuel rail - if it does you have a fuel pump control unit (the PEM makes the fuel pump only run as needed, versus all the time on the earlier cars).

The PEMs (pump electronic module?) were originally mounted to the passenger side of the fuel tank (on the outside of the car) and were/are subject to corrosion in the electrical connector or sometimes the circuit board. Volvo had an update where they were moved to under the rear seat inside the passenger compartment but I have seen many that were still mounted on the outside of the gas tank. (And corrosion kept them from working/fuel pump would not run without a new one)

Being out of gas will not cause the fuel pump to not run or the PEM to shut off power to the pump. If completely out of gas you might have to put enough gas in to cover the "saddle" so gas can get picked up from both sides of the tank.

Don't order a fuel sending unit until you know it is bad! There are two sending units, one is built into the pump on the right side, the other is for the left side of the saddle. One measures 0-1/2 the other 1/2 -full. Very expensive and PIA to replace, If the tank IS FULL, gallons of gas can leak out under the car when you take the pump or sender out! Save your money to buy the parts you can prove are bad.
    Last edited by hoonk; 12-09-2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Fuel sender warning

Thanks much for all the advice. To close this thread, the car started after I added about 4 gallon gas. so it was run out of gas! The problem of not be able to fill the tank somehow disappeared...
    '02 BMW 325i (fun drive)
    '98 BMW F650 (funride)