Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Low beam headlight problem

Hello, I'm a new owner of a 2005 XC70. I went to replace the bulb on the passenger side as it was out, and it still didn't work. I also checked fuse #20(passenger side low beam) in the engine compartment fusebox and it was good.
    This XC70 has the halogen lights, not the Xenon.

Any suggestions on what to check next?
    Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by chapeau1 View Post
    bulb on the passenger side as it was out, and it still didn't work.
    On the H11 bulbs the plastic connector melts - and creates a poor connection. Have tried cheap aftermarket connectors, and had to warranty them out to the Volvo brand part when they melted again in a few months. Check voltage at the fuse to make sure the CEM is still sending power to the bulb.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Volvo.../dp/B01A4XS5ZY

Thanks
    I will add that when I bought the car last month the headlight was full of condensation. Not sure if that makes any difference?

I've see the wiring diagram for high and low beam for the Bi-Xenon lights, is it the same for halogen lights?

Thanks
    I will add that when I bought the car last month the headlight was full of condensation.
    The earlier cars with a glass headlamp can do that when someone leaves the seal on the turn signal bulb socket off or the socket is loose, Not sure about the plastic lens cars.

I've see the wiring diagram for high and low beam for the Bi-Xenon lights, is it the same for halogen lights?
    No. Bi-Xenon setups are a single bulb with high beam merely being the reflector tilted up by an actuator to achieve something like a high beam. That is, no dedicated high beam bulb like in the XC's halogen setup.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    On the H11 bulbs the plastic connector melts - and creates a poor connection. Have tried cheap aftermarket connectors, and had to warranty them out to the Volvo brand part when they melted again in a few months. Check voltage at the fuse to make sure the CEM is still sending power to the bulb.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Volvo.../dp/B01A4XS5ZY
    The low beam bulb on the 2005 XC70 is an H7. Usually, the problem with a low beam failing is poor contact at the bulb connector. Clean the metal contacts with emory paper.
    If that fails, test the supply wires with a voltmeter to confirm 12V being delivered.

Getting power at the fuse. The connector looks good. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for 2005 XC with halogen lights? If so please post.
    Thanks

Power at the fuse.....

Did you check for power and ground at the bulb connector? Use an an old school test light with a bulb.
    A multi meter or an electronic test light can fool you. These will let you know if there is voltage but a test light that causes a bit of a draw will give you an idea of current flow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    The low beam bulb on the 2005 XC70 is an H7.
    I'm sorry I thought all usa 2005s came with plastic headlamp lenses, with H11 low beams. (with melted connectors!)(unless HID) and Yes the glass lenses have H7s (unless HID). In answer to the OP here's what Volvo offers from their wiring diagrams.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05 headlamp.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	8867

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    here's what Volvo offers from their wiring diagrams.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05 headlamp.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	8867
    Funny - that diagram does not show the fuses in 11b fusebox, (17 and 20 for dipped beam) but this version from another wiring diagram edition does.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails headlamp fuse.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast