Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    Does this mean that you've got a loose connection or a short in the positive cable that goes from the battery to the engine compartment? If you're getting 13v at one end but only 2v at the other?

When my starter solenoid wire wasn't making good enough contact to engage the starter motor, I was still getting 12v at the jump point under the hood.

Suspect this might be the case, but I don't have any experience or know-how to diagnose that if it is - all the connectors seem clean and well clamped, and it's intermittent. When the car is at rest, I read the same voltage at the jump point as I do at the battery, so it's intermittent and seems to be linked / only occur when it doesn't start

You might want to look into downloading VIDA on to a computer. It's the shop manual for volvos. Hopefully it'll have a diagram showing that cable which goes from the batt to the engine compartment to help you troubleshoot. You can also get a DICE setup for a laptop which lets you interface with car thru the OBDII port. That's more complicated. But with VIDA on your computer you can see exploded views of all the car's systems, look up part #s, get repair procedures, etc.

I use a Virtual Machine setup: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Download-Link

I could look up the info in VIDA for you when I get some time but I haven't figured out how to copy and paste into a forum post.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

This is a good clue. I am having trouble with an intermittent no start with crank, or no crank but lights on dash. My first thought was that it is the key antenna since it seemed immobilizer related. It is hard to find facts on the immobilizer though so I am going to do as suggested here to check the solenoid before buying parts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12