Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi All, I have an XC70, D5, AWD registered 05.2015. It currently has 33,000km on the clock and yesterday I had it in for a basic service. Within 200 meters of leaving the garage the car stopped. The mechanics are telling me that it's the timing belt. Is it possible for the timing belt to snap so soon?? I am based in Romania but from Ireland so I called Volvo Ireland and they tell me that version should last until 150k km or 6 years before a belt needs changing. Any advice on how this could have happened. The Volvo was not serviced by a Volvo dealer but a service partner. Any help, feedback or advice is appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by pfd1982 View Post
    Hi All, I have an XC70, D5, AWD registered 05.2015. It currently has 33,000km on the clock and yesterday I had it in for a basic service. Within 200 meters of leaving the garage the car stopped. The mechanics are telling me that it's the timing belt. Is it possible for the timing belt to snap so soon?? I am based in Romania but from Ireland so I called Volvo Ireland and they tell me that version should last until 150k km or 6 years before a belt needs changing. Any advice on how this could have happened. The Volvo was not serviced by a Volvo dealer but a service partner. Any help, feedback or advice is appreciated!!
    On this D5254 engine, it's easy to inspect the timing belt chamber. Remove the smaller black plastic engine cap on the left end -- requires loosening the bolts holding down the larger engine cap, removing the 2 bolts holding on the smaller cap, and unclipping the front and back plastic clips.

The TB chamber is good if the belt is free of microcracks, centered on the belt path, no oil leaks visible in chamber, and no squeaks coming from rollers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12