Thread: Engine shutter issue

Default Engine shutter issue

Of coarse while I'm at work for a 24 hour shift our 2004 XC70 with 175 miles on it shutters and dies on my wife in a intersection today. This also happens with our two young kids in the car. Yesterday I smelt gas outside the car and the CEL was on but I couldn't see anything due to being on vacation and poor lighting. I recently had a local volvo mechanic change the fuel pump since it was finally toast. I messaged him and she said that it could be the evap purge valve is out. Would the evap purge valve going out make the car die (my wife did say that the car does have fuel)? I haven't had a chance to get the CEL code read yet since I'm at work. Also I had the PCV system replaced about 10k ago. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by xrsurfguy; 11-21-2018 at 05:46 PM.

That CEL is gonna be the place to start. Could be a cylinder misfire due to a failed coil pack. That would create a rough idle and a significant shutter. Not sure if it would result in the engine shutting off, though.
    I don't have experience with a faulty evap purge valve so don't know what those symptoms would be.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

So it ended up be out of fuel even though the gauge was showing fuel left. I recently had the fuel pump replaced and Iím assuming I either ordered the wrong Bosch fuel pump or my mechanic didnít clock the sending unit right. He said he put it back to the factory spec location but when I filled the car up yesterday the computer said we could drive 475 miles on a tank of gas and before it would usually say 325-350 miles on a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by xrsurfguy View Post
    So it ended up be out of fuel even though the gauge was showing fuel left. I recently had the fuel pump replaced and Iím assuming I either ordered the wrong Bosch fuel pump or my mechanic didnít clock the sending unit right. He said he put it back to the factory spec location but when I filled the car up yesterday the computer said we could drive 475 miles on a tank of gas and before it would usually say 325-350 miles on a tank.
    I did a fill up on the Mass Pike recently and my readout was 640 miles, the highest reading yet, usually it is 500 but i drive lightly and your miles are computed with your average fuel economy mileage, my average according to the readout is 28.