Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camshaft Seals - What is a reasonable cost

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    . It's at the top of the DIY difficulty scale.
    Haynes rate it 3/5, no more difficult than a timing belt job.

I have a 2007 which just ticked over 200k miles.
    Had it inspected by the Volvo guy who quoted me the price, he said the PCV system was working well but I get the feeling if I do this job I should probably service that as well right?

You don't really save any money trying to do the two together - I don't think there is much parts-removal in common between the two jobs.

If PCV blockage is building pressure in the crankcase and forcing the oil to leak out the seals, then you might want to clean the PCV passages. You could replace the seals but still get oil leaks.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    Haynes' opinion. But I thought it a degree of difficulty higher. Getting the variable pulley on is finicky. Locking the cams is just plain work.

At any rate there is no point in doing the cam seals without doing the PCV. They will fail again, and soon, if there is excess crankcase pressure. Then, you're doing the cam seals all over again.

You'll get better at it the second time, though.

I would do all the seals. To do the other cam, and crank seal, adds a few minutes to a job that takes several hours already. There is no point in saving those few minutes, only to repeat the several hours when the next seal wears out.

Replacing just the components alone for the PCV is not sufficient. You must clean the lower port, that goes all the way down into the oil pan. The circular port opening in the block can easily be cleaned, but the port continues about four inches further into the oil pan after a 90 degree bend. It's about a 1/2" square passage. It's the top inch or so that gathers sludge.

Oil pan removal is the easiest way to do that. Not a hard job, but a lot of bolts, about 30, hold it on. And the mating surfaces must be perfectly clean. Maneuvering it in place is fiddly.

You must use anaerobic flange sealant for the pan. I've used only Volvo sealant but Permatex makes a similar compound.

I know some guys have cleaned it using a flexible wire brush (I would go bronze, or brass, to avoid scratching the inside of the block, which would make it easier for future sludge to accumulate). I keep a couple of old gun cleaning brushes in my tool box for this sort of thing.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (100K, Michelin AS3+, M1 0W40)
    2002 V70-XC (238K, Castrol Edge 0W40)
    2002 V70-T5 (195K, IPD bars, Bilsteins, Contis, Mobil 1 0W30)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I did my cam seals, it leaked worse before than it did after. It turned out that the exhaust VVT pulley was worn out with a ton of end play, allowing it to move forward past the seal. A new pulley and new seals (again!) solved the problem. It was difficult, but it seemed easier than doing the PCV system a couple of weeks prior.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    You need the camshaft locking tool to do the seals, there is no shortcut that can be done to avoid purchasing the locking tool, many have tried and buggered it up, and incorrect positioning of the cams will destroy the engine, it is a complex operation for a novice, yet can be done with patience, caution and the correct tools. $1200 is probably fairly reasonable for the complete job by a Volvo tech.
    I've got mine for like $48. Yes, it is a cheap Chinese clone, but it worked.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    It is definitely more difficult than TB. TB is not difficult at all, in fact. I do TB in less than 1 hour.

But the seals are still doable.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    It is definitely more difficult than TB. TB is not difficult at all, in fact. I do TB in less than 1 hour.

But the seals are still doable.
    LOL! takes me that long to get my tools out,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12