Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Camshaft Seals - What is a reasonable cost

Hi,

Looking for advice on camshaft seals and the other parts/work that needs to be done at the same time (waterpump, tensioner belt etc).

What is a reasonable cost to do this? I am not willing to do it myself as I don't have the tools required.

I have been given a quote in the ballpark of $1200 from a local Volvo guy (not a dealer).

Not sure about the seals, but I’ve been quoted at $350 for the water pump and timing belt kit installation. I bought the actual Volvo parts myself, those were about $250 (ballpark) and he’s just charging me for the labor. Far better than the $1300 I was quoted from a local Volvo shop.

Is this a DIY job? I'd rather not pay the all in cost but am also wary of messing it up and what other tools would be needed for the timing belt, tensioner, camshaft seals etc.

You need the camshaft locking tool to do the seals, there is no shortcut that can be done to avoid purchasing the locking tool, many have tried and buggered it up, and incorrect positioning of the cams will destroy the engine, it is a complex operation for a novice, yet can be done with patience, caution and the correct tools. $1200 is probably fairly reasonable for the complete job by a Volvo tech.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 11-21-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Cam seals are like timing belt plus about four hours. You have to remove a bunch of stuff on the back side of the engine to lock the cams.

You MUST have the locking tool ($100 on Amazon).

Many posters here have done it. Many others have screwed it up. It's at the top of the DIY difficulty scale.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

If your cam seals are leaking, it's probably because your PCV system is toasted. Get it tested before you spend money on seals - a bad PCV will blow oil past even the best new cam seals. And whatever other seals it can find to leak from. PCV maintenance is a required periodic maintenance item.

I depends what year.
    On my 2001, the variable timing is only on the exhaust (back) cam, so the front seal can be done without the locking tool. You need to remove the timing belt and then the sprocket off that camshaft. But you need to be very careful not to move anything and to mark the cam and the gear precisely so it goes back exactly as it was. I think I just SLIGHTLY loosened the bolts before removing the timing belt.
    Not sure what year they went to variable timing on both cams. 2003 maybe??

Yes, you could do one cam seal with this technique, seems rather pointless to do only one as they both wear at the the same rate and you will have to eventually have to replace the VCT equipped side and repeat the process again. Maybe at the time you couldn't afford to purchase the cam tool. Seems like a false economy to me.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 11-24-2018 at 08:20 AM.

Sorry Mick, totally disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwirst View Post
    What is a reasonable cost to do this? I am not willing to do it myself as I don't have the tools required.
    So to save $60 you spend $1200? I'm not certain but something about that doesn't make sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast