Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Winter driving?

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    Yes. But. Absence of DSTC would have helped to save my car on an icy hilly forest road (I had to swap the chassis afterwards) Speeding sliding off the curvy road with no help from electronics is certainly worse than inability to climb the hill with the DSTC still engaged
    vtl

Although I find your comment very confusing it seems we agree that the XC70 could be better than it actually is under adverse winter conditions regardless of equipment present in the various models/years.

My point below in response to your previous post was simply to confirm that your car has TRACS only which you questioned in that post.

If I had been better informed regarding winter driving AND reliability (Consumers Reports puts Volvo at the very bottom of their list) I may not have purchased it but mea culpa.

Regards

My 850 has TRACS with a switch.
    So, is JR right?
    2001 V70XC - Nautic Blue/ 2-tone Sand/ Premium/ Instant MPG 12 - 63/ Pirelli P4 12/32" - 740/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Zimmerman Z-coated/ Akebono/ 190K-mi/ Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Xheart View Post
    My 850 has TRACS with a switch. So, is JR right?

I did some searching and found a thread in which JRL says:

"Tracs doesn't do much in these cars but if you're stuck in the snow, you want ALL 4 wheels driving and not having something artificial shutting one or more off at the wrong time."
    Last edited by Ted Brown; 12-03-2018 at 05:22 PM.

This is interesting. My 02 which didn't have DSTC (I guess it had TRACS) drove like a tank in the snow. All four wheels felt like they had solid traction and grip. This winter I'm driving an 07 with DSTC. Haven't had a chance to test it in the snow but I'll be driving with the DSTC off. I'm expecting it to perform as well as the 2002.

vtl, I'm curious, how did the DSTC being on contribute to your mishap on the icy hilly road? You weren't able to deliver power to the drivetrain at a key moment when you were in a slide?
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234