Default Accessing Spot of Rust Under Lower Trim

Hello all,

So I recently bought myself an '04 XC70, and after a few months of driving, I noticed a bit of rust underneath the trim at the bottom of the drivers door, near to the sill plate insert. The piece of trim in question appears to run from the front of the drivers door to the back of the passenger door. So, my question is this. Does anyone have any tips on how I can remove that piece of trim so that I can deal with the rust under there? My searches so far have been unfruitful, and I don't want to break anything, but I can tell the rust is getting steadily worse, and don't want to let this sit over the next winter. I understand that I may need to replace some plastic rivets in order to do this, but I wanted to see if any of you helpful folks can ease my worries about this.

On a side note, any suggestions on how I should deal with the rust would also be appreciated. If needed, I can provide pictures at some point.

Thank you!

Picture please.

You need a wire brush and different kinds of Noxudol (IIRC this is what Volvo uses on new cars). I use Noxudol 700, 900 and 1100.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    Picture please.

You need a wire brush and different kinds of Noxudol (IIRC this is what Volvo uses on new cars). I use Noxudol 700, 900 and 1100.
    Don't know if Noxudol is available in Canada, but I use RustCheck. The green can stuff works the treat here in the salt air my cars sit in all the time.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    Picture please.
    Here you go (Imgur Link).

I know that the rust extends further down than I can show, but it was too difficult to try and pry the trim back with one hand and take a picture with the other, showing this.

So far I've been unable to find any comment on anyone else having this issue. I've noticed that that part of the door sill gets wet if the car sits out in the rain, could this be indicative of some of the seals failing?

Thanks.
    Last edited by jman474; 11-28-2018 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added clarification for why I took pictures the way I did

Quote Originally Posted by jman474 View Post
    So far I've been unable to find any comment on anyone else having this issue. I've noticed that that part of the door sill gets wet if the car sits out in the rain, could this be indicative of some of the seals failing?
    Yes, likely door's weather strip. I have the same issue (not with rust, hopefully).

2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Thank you! This is perfect.

Do you happen to know if those rivets/clips are ones I would need to replace? Or can I put them back in like the door panel ones?

Quote Originally Posted by jman474 View Post
    Thank you! This is perfect.

Do you happen to know if those rivets/clips are ones I would need to replace? Or can I put them back in like the door panel ones?
    Rivets need to be replaced.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Alright then! Thank you so much for your help. I will update once I've done the work, in about a month or so.

Keep being awesome.