Default Need Advice on 2012 XC70

I'm looking at a 2012 XC70 T6 with 174,103 miles on it. Any advice on whether it's a good buy or not? I currently drive an '02 V70 with almost 290,000 miles on it, still going strong, so maybe there's a good amount of miles on the '12 XC70.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrax View Post
    2012 XC70 T6 with 174,103 miles on it. Any advice
    You are considering a used car that was driven almost 25000 miles a year? Although it was not a very popular car there are 162 2008-2012 xc70's for sale on Autotrader under 150k miles.

The Volvo/Ford/Land Rover engine - (that Volvo does not use anymore)

Have the Water pump, belt, idlers, and overrunning clutches (on the alternator also) been replaced? Ac compressor or valve? Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? That engine does not have an oil pressure sending unit, just an oil level sensor. Does the sensor still work? Are there records of the 23 or so oil changes it should have had?

Everybody has their own comfort limit as to how many miles is too many on a car. There are not many people that would even consider purchasing a car with 175k unless it was being sold at a disposable price.

All good to know info! Thank you hoonk!

I have the 2013 XC70 T6 (B6304 T4 engine), and according to the Owner's Manual there's oil pressure send, i.e. if the pump goes out and the oil pan is full, a
    "shut off engine immediately" alert pops up.

I'll only buy one of these used Volvos if the owner cared for it like an airplane. All PMs done on time, no repairs deferred, documentation of all service work. At
    174K miles, I would expect much deferred maintenance to have occurred (absent proof to the contrary). There are so many expensive systems on these cars,
    keeping the thing running another few years could run $10K. Here's the kicker: If you're patient and organized, you can buy a used Volvo with an excellent, well-documented
    service record for the same price as one with questions marks all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    I have the 2013 XC70 T6 (B6304 T4 engine), and according to the Owner's Manual there's oil pressure send, i.e. if the pump goes out and the oil pan is full, a
    "shut off engine immediately" alert pops up.

I am basing my no oil sending unit statement on 2 6 cyl cars - 2008 and 2009 - where the oil was drained during an oil change and someone forgot to put new oil in. There was no warning on the dash, no oil light, no low oil warning. Engines of course seized after a couple of miles. I had the pleasure of replacing one of those seized engines - and figured out during the swapover of the engine wiring harness what every electrical plug went to during the replacement process. Had to swap the oil pan also, the used one was cracked. There was no oil pressure sending unit, the simple little switch that grounds a wire with less than 7 psi, or a more complex one that sends a pressure value and a low pressure also. There was only the oil level sensor in the bottom of the oil pan, and it does not connect to oil galleys in the pan.

I checked the fitment chart for the oil pressure switch 3545696 on the early P3 XC70s, and hoonk's great story checks out. The I6 3.0 Turbo engine is missing in the chart for MY 2008. It shows for 2009, but that could be a partial year. The I6 3.2L engines are listed as having the sensor starting in 2008. Seems like a detail got past the engineers and design review when introducing the I6 Turbo.

source: https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...4/3545696.html

Capturing detailed lore such as hoonk's makes these pages uniquely informative.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    I checked the fitment chart for the oil pressure switch 3545696 .The I6 3.0 Turbo engine is missing in the chart for MY 2008. It shows for 2009, but that could be a partial year. The I6 3.2L engines are listed as having the sensor starting in 2008.
    I agree the chart you refer to does list that sender for some of the I6 engines - but if you use the search function in VIDA for that part number - no 2008+ I6 engines are listed, (just about every aluminum block engine since 1991 has used that part, s40 4 cyl, 5 cyl, early 6cyl, diesels, everything EXCEPT the Volvo/Ford/Landrover I6.) 3545696 is pictured in VIDA parts catalog on page 386 "sensor for indicator and warning systems."

I was shocked to find no oil pressure sensor on the engine I replaced and according to VIDA there is no sensor listed in the parts catalog for the years that engine was used, 2008 to 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrax View Post
    I'm looking at a 2012 XC70 T6 with 174,103 miles on it. Any advice on whether it's a good buy or not? I currently drive an '02 V70 with almost 290,000 miles on it, still going strong, so maybe there's a good amount of miles on the '12 XC70.

If you don't mind doing some basic maintenance then yes you should buy the XC70

Take a look at this list (its for the LR2 with essentially the same powertrain as the 3.2 XC70, in your case you also have the Turbo to look after)

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32504.html

The items on the list are not hard to do.

Good Luck

Paul

Hey. I think I can help resolve your question. You can try to identify errors using the scanner for cars. Using it,obd2 scanner reviews, you can check the condition of the catalytic filter and the readings of the lambda probe. Also with this device, you can check the vehicle’s onboard voltage. And check whether the generator charges your battery. With the use of a scanner, you can diagnose problems encountered with the car. And in 50% you can solve the problem without garages and save your money.