Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default differential or axle noise?

Hi everyone,
    2004 XC70, 190K:
    1) All F/R wheel bearings are newer (1-1.5 years old)
    2) Transmission oil is 3 years old

When I go around 40, 60, or up the hill (try to accelerate without kicking down to lower gear), I hear this drowning noise. It's become louder since I noticed first time in this spring. Since all my wheel bearings are newer (and I remember the noise), I suspect the problem is somewhere in my differential.

Do you have any ideas? Or the same experience?

Please advise.

Thank you!

How are your engine mounts?

How is your flex pipe & catalytic converter?

Not sure what a drowning noise sounds like - but noise under load sounds more like an engine/exhaust than axle noise.

Transmissions don’t make much noise, they just shift poorly when they’re at fault.

Wheel bearings make noise that gets better or worse with cornering (which changes the load on them).
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Thank you Astro14

My flex pipe & catalytic converter is not best condition. The muffler shop just patched cat, he said it's still solid. I believe the engine mounts are OK.

The noise is like track exhaust braking, snow tire on high speed, old AC compressor under stress, etc. etc. I will try to record it.

Glad to know trans is OK, and yes I'm sure it's not wheel bearings.

I still suspect that somewhere in my def...

Since its body is pretty good shape (we love the car too), I'd like to drive another 100K, but if this repairing cost too much, I cannot have it.
    Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    How are your engine mounts?

How is your flex pipe & catalytic converter?

Not sure what a drowning noise sounds like - but noise under load sounds more like an engine/exhaust than axle noise.

Transmissions don’t make much noise, they just shift poorly when they’re at fault.

Wheel bearings make noise that gets better or worse with cornering (which changes the load on them).

Just wanted to let everyone know that this was rear right hub bearing. Because this was still few years old, I didn't think about it. I cannot believe that this relatively new bearing failed again.

This mechanic used to work at Volvo dealer. He started his own shop years ago. His price is almost dealer price without genuine Volvo part (when 1.5 year old rear left failed, he gave me discount price which I could almost buy 2 bearings with lifetime warranties). I will never use him again!

Thank you for your help.

I got two "as good as OEM" bearings for the front of my 2004 years ago. They lasted about a year. I put in real OEM bearings and sent the knock offs back for a full refund. So they can go bad quickly, but isn't it wonderful to identify a problem that you can solve
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Quote Originally Posted by orvieto View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know that this was rear right hub bearing.....
    Did your noise change depending on which way you steer? I have a noise (at highway speeds) that almost completely goes away when I steer to the left, comes back when I straighten up again or steer to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    Did your noise change depending on which way you steer? I have a noise (at highway speeds) that almost completely goes away when I steer to the left, comes back when I straighten up again or steer to the right.
    Bad front left hub.
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    Bad front left hub.
    Changed both front a few years back but made no difference to that noise at all.

Also, with bearings, I thought the noise came from loading the bearing and when unloaded it went away.

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    Changed both front a few years back but made no difference to that noise at all.

Also, with bearings, I thought the noise came from loading the bearing and when unloaded it went away.
    Unloaded bearing is the inside wheel, outside wheel takes the cornering force weight and gets noisier. If in doubt just ignore it, it will become quite evident what it is later.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 06-02-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    Unloaded bearing is the inside wheel, outside wheel takes the cornering force weight and gets noisier. If in doubt just ignore it, it will become quite evident what it is later.
    OK, we're saying the same thing but I just got my left mixed up with my right! Which, of course, is why my regular passengers point when giving me directions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast