Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Battery Drains After 2-3 Days

Naturally when we needed the XC70 today, it failed to crank over and start once more. Since there was an appointment to attend, the trusty, reliable (wife hated) Geely Mk 2 had to come again to the rescue. This has happened a few times lately and the CTC battery (4 years old) was tested and found to be OK.

I put on the 40A charger before leaving and when I returned, the XC70 fired up. After turning off the ignition, I heard two tiny motor like, quiet alarm like sounds - one from the driver's side engine and the other from what might have been the right rear emergency brake motor or possibly the gas tank recycling system (don't know if there's an electric motor nearby?). With the engine running, a charging load tester shows 14 charging volts and battery in the OK green zone under load.

Question - if after letting the car stand for 2-3 days, might this be enough to drain the battery to not allow the engine to start? One other possibly related symptom is the check engine on with the OBDII code 0455 - major gas re-cycling leak (possibly a damaged hose?).

Do these symptoms suggest anything specific to test and/or replace?

Thanks..... Cam

Quote Originally Posted by CVOLVO View Post
    Do these symptoms suggest anything specific to test and/or replace?
    Yes, replace the weak 4 year old battery

(my 18 month old volvo/interstate battery just went bad in my 2015, it would get too weak overnight to start the car, and when it first went dead I charged and tested it - it load tested ok, but still went weak after 24 hours)
    Last edited by hoonk; 09-27-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Yup, it's the battery. These cars do not handle weak batteries at all. In fact, I am going to Costco to get my hands on a new Interstate battery in the next couple of days, because the car I just bought has an AutoZone battery that seems fine, but I am taking no chances.

Quote Originally Posted by sanfelice View Post
    I am going to Costco to get my hands on a new Interstate battery
    The specified interstate battery is a mt or mtp 92-t7. From my experience if you install a size 48 (MTP48-H6) you will get low voltage messages at times - this happens with newer cars - maybe 2011 and up.
    Last edited by hoonk; 09-29-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    The specified interstate battery is a mt or mtp 92-t7. From my experience if you install a size 48 (MTP48-H6) you will get low voltage messages at times - this happens with newer cars - maybe 2011 and up.
    thanks, hoonk. I have had good luck with Interstate from Costco, although they have pared down the different models that they have stocked over the years.

fwiw, when I called Volvo about a battery price years ago, the parts person on the phone said, "well, Interstate makes this battery...." when asked about the price.. :-0

Unhappy Could Have Been Worse

Thanks for your experiences. It's a shame that a 9 year pro-rated battery will not fail enough to have it replaced. Canadian Tire did the load test and only claimed the battery's cold-cranking amps were slightly lower, but not enough to get a replacement. I guess here in Canada the weather extremes may be the culprit? The original 2008 battery is in my tractor, so this battery should still be OK in my 1980 240GT? I guess I'll have to bite the bullet but I hate to put any more money into a 10+ year old car than I absolutely have to. Cam

In all of this have you checked for a parasitic draw?

Quote Originally Posted by sanfelice View Post
    the parts person on the phone said, "well, Interstate makes this battery...."
    Yes, when trying to figure out the low voltage messages (with new mtp 48s installed) my interstate delivery man told me they sell the same batteries to my local Volvo dealer. They install Volvo stickers as they are brought into the Dealer, or interstate stickers when they bring them into my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    In all of this have you checked for a parasitic draw?
    Other than the noises (electric motors or solenoids) immediately after the car is turned off; no. I decided to leave the car sit un-used for the past 2-3 days; checking the voltage without the engine running. Initially, after 1 day the battery voltage was 12.2 volts. Next day it had dropped to 12 volts and the same the third day. I flipped the toggle on my charging meter and it stays in the acceptable range. When I start the car, with the meter attached, it indicates an alternator charging rate of over 14 volts and within the meter's acceptable range.

I've considered installing a +ve battery post disconnect switch as I've used on my vintage Volvos. Other than systematically pulling circuit fuses, I am not aware of any reliable procedure to isolate the apparent draw, other than possibly the CTC battery is suspect.

Cam
    Last edited by CVOLVO; 10-01-2018 at 06:32 PM.

You want to check for the draw to make sure that you don't have a system pulling the battery down. If no draw then you get to start trying other things.

Any newer DVOM should have an amp setting on it. If you don't want to disconnect the cables try this clamp meter.

http://www.amazon.ca/UNI-T-Current-C...70_&dpSrc=srch

What makes this one nice is that it has a 2 amp DC setting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast