Thread: XC70 turn signals intermittent

Default XC70 turn signals intermittent

The turn signal instrument cluster indicators on my '03 XC70 started operating intermittently yesterday.

The actual turn signal lights on the outside are still working in both turn and hazard mode, but there's no sound from the "clicker," nor are the cluster indicator lights working.

Is this a situation that points to reflowing the DIM solder joints? I'm an electronics tech and have all the necessary tools.

The blue high-beam indicator also went intermittent some time ago.
    Last edited by Silvestris66; 09-15-2018 at 03:17 PM.

If you're able to reflow the solder joints, then, yeah, it's time to do that.

I've had the DIMs on both P2 cars in my signature redone by Xemodex a few years back, when they started acting up like you describe. I don't have your skill with a soldering iron...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (96K, Michelin AS3, M1 0W40)
    2002 V70-XC (233K, AltiMax RT43, Castrol Edge 0W40)
    2002 V70-T5 (195K, IPD bars, Bilsteins, Contis, Mobil 1 0W30)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I don't usually work on surface mount components, but I know how and have the proper soldering station tips.

IMO, using surface mount components in cars has always been a bad idea, but it's the world we live in now. You wouldn't have this problem with through-hole components.

When I sold it in 1991, all the electronics in my 1964 Pontiac were still working fine after 27 years, none of this having a new nervous breakdown every month like on this one.