Default Evaporative Leak Detection Pump Control System - Check Engine Light

So the check engine came on for the first time today, no messages, no drive ability issues.

Autzone code reader found following 3 code

P2402 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High
    P2402 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High
    P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Is this as simple as replacing the LDP or does also need a new catalytic converters too? Not sure why it threw 2 codes the same, hoping this is relatively inexpensive to repair, IDP has a new LDP for $80.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwirst View Post
    Is this as simple as replacing the LDP

does also need a new catalytic converters too?
    Possibly/probably have a bad LDP, might be something else - Better diagnostics than the free scan from Autozone would be helpful!

A converter efficiency code - if that code continues to return and the items that can trigger it are working correctly (anything the controls the air fuel ratio) and you have to have an emission inspection to get a tag in your area you might have to replace the converter. A possible cheap solution is an O2 sensor extender that people use on the rear O2 sensors to mask a bad converter.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    A converter efficiency code - if that code continues to return and the items that can trigger it are working correctly (anything the controls the air fuel ratio) and you have to have an emission inspection to get a tag in your area you might have to replace the converter. A possible cheap solution is an O2 sensor extender that people use on the rear O2 sensors to mask a bad converter.
    +1, did this a couple of times, extender basically pulls the rear CAT O2 (which checks the output of the CAT) out of the output stream to give it clean readings. Obviously CAT efficiency is still low and still putting out pollutants.

Another solution I looked into while doing this is washing the CAT in agitated citric acid solutions. I believe it removes surface contaminants inside the CAT and allows it to function at better efficiency. Obviously a bigger job that requires CAT removal.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Thanks, I understand that Autozone is a cheap and dirty code check, I have been meaning to get a better diagnostic tool.

Recommendations to get a diagnosis tool first or run it to my new Volvo guy and have him diagnose and give me a heart attack proposal or a part replacement step first?

Can anyone point me towards the correct part number or a place to purchase the o2 extender please?

Google is your friend, they come in many shapes (straight, 90 degree) , not sure what would fit your application

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwirst View Post
    Can anyone point me towards the correct part number or a place to purchase the o2 extender please?
    Got mine from ebay for like $5 (no brand). Haven't done it on a P2 but a 2000 V70XC took a straight O2 extender. On the straight one, just imagine O2 sensor sticking out by another 1+ inch. 90 degree elbowed version usually for lack of space. You might take a look at it unless someone can provide straight/90degree guidance on a P2.

Here is my write up on the 00 V70XC. Search for P0420 OBD2 Code at bottom of the page https://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolv....htm#968184942
    Last edited by howardc64; 09-17-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Change the LDP. If you are getting that code it is bad.....
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Thanks, I have the new LDP & O2 Extender. I have seen some posts on a software update to the ECM that 'fixes' higher LDP readings? How would I check that & would I need it?

Otherwise, I have some work to do, yay!

So, update on this issue.

Attempted the LDP replacement, found the axle stands I borrowed didn't give me enough height to get the back end up high enough, along with the stupid location of the pump I tabled it for when I can get my friend's ramps. Noticed I most likely have to drop the exhaust and the heat shield to give better access to the bracket and tubing for putting on the new hose clamps.

In the meantime, on the advice of my new mechanic, he said to switch to Shell V-Power 91 based on 20+years and coincidentally that is when I got the CEL for the LDP & Cat codes. After getting through about my second tank of the gas, the CEL cleared.......

Anyone know of things like this resolving based on a fuel change?