Thread: LED Bulbs

Default LED Bulbs

Recent article on subject here: https://www.autoguide.com/top-5-best...eadlight-bulbs

Has anybody tried any of these and how have they worked out?

I haven't tried the new iterations of LED conversion bulbs with the big heatsinks, fans and whatnot; but I did try the first-gen type, and they were dangerous. Despite looking really bright when they are 5000K, to the extent I was getting flashed in the daylight, they produced about half the lumens as a standard halogen bulb. Threw not nearly enough light to make it safe to drive at night. I could barely see the road and I had to return home using the fogs just to see well enough to see the road.

But with all this said, will be very interested in hearing from anyone using these new gen bulbs.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

There are no legal and/or good LED headlamps for the P2 Volvo. As in, nobody has ever made any (it's not worth it, for cars that were made for 6-7 years). You might be able to get some JW Speaker lights mounted on a light bar on the front if you need good LED lights; http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/le...8700-evo-2-db/

Hell, even the aftermarket headlamps that ARE made for our cars are crap.

I still have to see an actual conversion done. The problem is there is not enough space inside the headlamp housing to properly fit and LED nor an HID bulb. I started this project with a Katana LED from Amazon. It was the shortest bulb I could find. It also comes with a code canceller. Problem is how to adapt the housing dust cover with all the wires. You will need to drill a hole thru the dust cover, get some grommets to seal hole, insert wires thru grommet, seal around wire with silicone. Theres just too much to stuff in to the housing that I am afraid it will compromise the housing. I have tested it without the covers on and the lights seems bright enough. It also has a light pattern cut off which can be adjusted. But I abandoned the project for now.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!
    04 Volvo XC70 5LT 143k "Floatey" Ruby Red, Valvoline 0W40
    07 Honda Accord V6 120k Silver, Napa 5W20 Blend
    07 Honda Accord L4 130k Bronze, Napa 5W20 Blend

The manufacturers of these bulbs are now claiming that they can be used in reflector housings to replace halogen bulbs. However, any I've looked at are much too long to allow the original dust cover to be put back on after fitting them. Also, some of these newer models have an adjustment arrangement so that you can rotate the LED light after installation so that the light pattern is alright.