Default My first XC90 (2004) - what should my first little upgrades be?

My first 4x4 and first car actually!

Bought this as moving to Wales (slowly) and need something to eat up those motorway miles while we make the transition over the next few years.

I'm also a keen outdoors person so wanted something that could take me off road when I need to. What should be the first little add ons both cosmetic and performance based that I should buy? Kinda on a budget for a while so the cheaper things for now are fine.

I know I need some more off road focused tyres - but what would also work for those 250 mile motorway slogs?

looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Give us the engine type, and the mileage.

2004 XC90 D5 SE 2.4L Diesel Automatic 114k

Quote Originally Posted by darkdayzandrainbows View Post
    I know I need some more off road focused tyres - but what would also work for those 250 mile motorway slogs?
    Don't know if you can get them in the UK but Toyo Open Country H/T are a great tyre for both off road and on road. One of the only M+S rated tyre with a H speed rating. A more aggressive option would be the Yokohama Geolander A/T but they're no better off road and much worse on the highway.

First thing I do is overhaul cooling system.
    255/50 R19 on 8 x 19" rim with offset 49mm would make it look sporty and improve all-terrain experience. Take a closer look at the suspension, overhaul if you do want to take it off-road regularly.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Xheart View Post
    First thing I do is overhaul cooling system.
    255/50 R19 on 8 x 19" rim with offset 49mm would make it look sporty and improve all-terrain experience. Take a closer look at the suspension, overhaul if you do want to take it off-road regularly.
    I wouldn't take this thing off road. I had similar plans as the original poster, BUT the rear suspension stays on this vehicle are WAY to low. I barely took mine offroad at all and bent the snot out of one. didn't notice right away and chewed up the rear tires in 3 months because the alignment was off. knowing that the rear alignment is off is difficult b/c the car doesn't pull, just chews up the tires. Unfortunately there is no lift kit available.

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    Don't know if you can get them in the UK but Toyo Open Country H/T are a great tyre for both off road and on road. One of the only M+S rated tyre with a H speed rating. A more aggressive option would be the Yokohama Geolander A/T but they're no better off road and much worse on the highway.
    I have the Geolanders. They are pretty good, but my next set will be more road focused, as this thing is not useful for offroad...at all...see my other post.