Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shocks & struts advice

Thanks for the advice, would you think this would be a 'better' kit to get the car through for a few more miles?
    https://www.ipdusa.com/products/2102...xc70-2004-2007

I will look at the CV boot/grease as well, couldn't hurt to throw some good grease/boot/clamp at both sides. Thanks for the advice!

With all the items listed, looks like it makes a good kit. Maybe you noticed, but beware of that page's design. The $248 is only for the pair of control arms, then you click and add what you want, and the individual part price gets added to the kit price up top. When I selected all the cheapest parts while keeping the IPD control arms, the total was $600. To really help the budget, you can get just bushings for the control arms rather than whole arms for a lot less, but you'll need the ability to press the old ones out and the new ones in.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    You can get new strut bushing, spring seats, control arms and ball joints and do it right the first time.
    I agree with this.

I tried the QuickStruts on my V70. They failed within 3000 miles. Then I replaced them and did another alignment, and the new QuickStruts failed within 3000 miles. That's when I new that the QuickStruts were just bad news (and not a freak accident of getting TWO bad ones, but I got FOUR bad ones).

I ended up getting Bilstein all around for the car and they're still good. Third alignment.

These cars are rough on front-end components. I replaced ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, LCAs (rather than just the bushings), struts, bearing plates, spring seats etc. I did this around 140K miles if I remember right, and despite everything looking good, it was a drastic improvement in how the car felt/handled when I drove it.
    I think the struts and shocks expired before the 140K miles, but these cars seem to fail "gently" with the suspension so you don't feel that anything is wrong until you get the new suspension in and realize "holy ****, it's so much better now".

Unfotunately no Bilsteins available for XC70; without doing some custom fabrication the original Sachs (Monroe if you've got the 4C adjustable suspension) is your only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    I agree with this.

I tried the QuickStruts on my V70. They failed within 3000 miles. Then I replaced them and did another alignment, and the new QuickStruts failed within 3000 miles. That's when I new that the QuickStruts were just bad news (and not a freak accident of getting TWO bad ones, but I got FOUR bad ones).

I ended up getting Bilstein all around for the car and they're still good. Third alignment.

These cars are rough on front-end components. I replaced ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, LCAs (rather than just the bushings), struts, bearing plates, spring seats etc. I did this around 140K miles if I remember right, and despite everything looking good, it was a drastic improvement in how the car felt/handled when I drove it.
    I think the struts and shocks expired before the 140K miles, but these cars seem to fail "gently" with the suspension so you don't feel that anything is wrong until you get the new suspension in and realize "holy ****, it's so much better now".
    Reverend,

Did you have the Sachs QuickStruts? What failed?
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 114,000

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    I agree with this.

These cars are rough on front-end components. I replaced ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, LCAs (rather than just the bushings), struts, bearing plates, spring seats etc. I did this around 140K miles if I remember right, d despite everything looking good, it was a drastic improvement in how the car felt/handled when I drove it.
    Interesting. I put Quickstruts on my XC over two years ago and about 25K kms over fairly crap roads: so far, so good. Also most of those miles are with the car hauling over 400 lbs of farmer market stuff and a hounddog. So yeah, I'd be interested to know what broke.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'05 V70R (Magic Blue)-118K mi to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-270K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '98 V70-gone @390k kms
    '91 744GL-killed by son @ 220K kms
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    '90 744T w/Turbo Plus-killed by son @260K mi
    '78 245-killed by wife @166K mi
    '76 265-gas hog gone