Default Gates or Contitech?

Getting ready for timing belt/accessory belt on my '07. Can get Contitech or Gates kits locally for both.

Any recommendations which to go for or avoid? Looking at timing belt w/tensioner and idler and accessory belt w/tensioner.

I used the Conti timing belt, and used OEM parts that were not Volvo branded, FCP Euro if I recall correctly. I also bought the Aisin water pump, which is OEM with the Volvo name ground off, at about half price!

Did some more reading, looks like Conti is just fine - placed the order this afternoon. A little work in my future.

Gates. Conti makes subpar belts IMO. Or simply get everything in a blue box
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
    Getting ready for timing belt/accessory belt on my '07. Can get Contitech or Gates kits locally for both.

Any recommendations which to go for or avoid? Looking at timing belt w/tensioner and idler and accessory belt w/tensioner.
    Over the last few years, I've used both on my white blocks and have seen no real difference. Conti is the OEM supplier for what that might be worth. As far as rollers and the tensioner, I use INA and for the pump, Asin. Both are also OEM suppliers so when you buy bluebox, more than likely you will get these same parts at a possibly higher price.

Just as an FYI in regard to pumps, stay clear of NAPA pumps. They claim to be OE but use a composite impeller rather than the OEM metal one. About a month ago, I had a NAPA pump grenade its composite impeller in my R. All credit to the PO for doing a full timing belt service 40K early, but his shop put on this NAPA pump (although all the other bits were Conti, INA, etc.). Anyway, I guess the pump could only handle so may redline runs as it went right after one. I ended up doing another full TB service with proper parts and so far so good. BTW, I found 5 of the 7 impeller blades still floating around in the pump. What was left of the other two came out in the coolant flush as dark gray granules. Scared the crap out of me as I thought I might be looking at a rebuild.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

What I have coming is Conti belt and INA pulleys - they do say OEM so let's see how they compare with the originals.