Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Loss of power when making right-hand turns 2005 XC90 2.5T

Upon accelerating out of these turns, I will experience a loss of power and the car will shake a little, then run normally. Happens more frequently when I have a half-tank of fuel or less. I've had the fuel filter replaced less than 6 months ago, and the fuel pump is less than 5 years old. The CEL will also iluminate with a P0089 code for fuel pressure regulator rang/performance, and a Volvo-specific code for Mass Air Flow. I also just replaced the fuel pressure sensor.

I've never heard of a problem like this. The symptoms suggest that the fuel tank uptake hose (suction hose) is ingesting air, as it would if the tip of the hose were not at the lowest point in the tank where it's supposed to be. As you round a curve, the remaining fuel in the tank sloshes to one side, and the tip is momentarily ingesting air. When this air bubble enters the fuel pump, the fuel pressure at the engine would drop instantly bc air is compressible.
    Can you borrow a fiber-optic scope, and inspect the inside of your fuel tank?

You could test this theory by taking the car to a place where the car is on a tilt with the right side higher by 6", and the fuel is low. The car would not have to be moving -- the sideways tilt alone would cause the engine to stall.
    Last edited by pbierre; 07-22-2018 at 09:53 AM.