Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to XC70, can you help?

Hi all:

This was originally posted at Swedespeed, and someone there directed me here.

Just picked up '05 XC70 with 35k for my wife and young daughter. If anyone could help with any or all of the following, I would really appreciate it! I have about 45 days of warranty coverage left, so I'm trying to sort out any potential issues quickly.

GLOVEBOX RATTLE AT IDLE: I was able to find some great hints here. Sounds like a common problem -- I'll have dealer look at, and resort to some felt pads or the like if it reappears after warranty expires. If anyone has anything to add...

ENGINE CONTINUES TO RUN for a minute after I shut the car down. I'm assuming that it's just the fan and that this is a stupid question. I've never had a car that's done this before -- a Volvo thing?

AFTERMARKET STEEL CARGO ORGANIZER? This looks like a great way to keep gear from ending up front and keeping baby girl safe (not to mention Fido out of the cabin). Dealer quoted me $350. Ouch. Anyone know of an aftermarket alternative that will fit the holes on the cargo area and filp up like the OEM model. Anyone have this installed? Thoughts?

CARSEAT installation. Admittedly not a sexy question... Want to install my forward facing toddler seat in the center but use LATCH system (Dads, you know what I mean). It seems that the car is set to use LATCH just on the drivers or passengers side. If I borrow one latch hook from either side, now I've invaded enough into the space beside it that passengers seatbelts overlap. Am I missing something here? Or am I just stuck keeping my seat out of the middle section of the bench.

OTHER KNOWN WARRANTY issues I should have looked at before it expires. This car is known for solid reliability, which is why I bought it, but I'd rather catch stuff while it's still on Volvo's dime.

Thanks!

-Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jakefitz View Post
    ENGINE CONTINUES TO RUN for a minute after I shut the car down. I'm assuming that it's just the fan and that this is a stupid question. I've never had a car that's done this before -- a Volvo thing?

AFTERMARKET STEEL CARGO ORGANIZER? This looks like a great way to keep gear from ending up front and keeping baby girl safe (not to mention Fido out of the cabin). Dealer quoted me $350. Ouch. Anyone know of an aftermarket alternative that will fit the holes on the cargo area and filp up like the OEM model. Anyone have this installed? Thoughts?
    Do you really mean to say that the engine continues to run after you turn the ignition off? If so, that's a serious problem and should be addressed by the dealer. There are fans that may run after the ignition is turned off, including a fan in the AC system that may be active for some time (maybe up to an hour) to dry up condensation in the system and preclude a mold problem. This is normal operation.

I was interested in a cargo barrier for my XC70 as we got a dog last fall, and I looked for aftermarket options. The only thing that will use the vehicle fittings and flip up to the ceiling is the OEM model, which as you have discovered is quite pricey. I was lucky enough to find one in the proper color in a local Craig's List posting, and I purchased it for less than 1/3 the cost of a new one. EBay or a salvage yard might also be a good source for you.

Good Luck!

Hi Jake, welcome to the forum. The collective knowledge here will help you appreciate your experience with your Volvo. If you haven't visited the resource section, go take a look. Tons of info.

The engine sound you hear after you shut down the car is normal. There are a couple of fan that will continue to run, for example, removing the humidity from the ventilation system.

Car seats can only go on the side if you're using the ISO system. I have the same situation, two young kids, each on the side seats. I wouldn't put them side by side anyway, too easy to pick a fight, you probably know what I mean

Putting your seat in the middle using the side latches hooks would put too much stress on the straps and might be catastrophic during a crash. Volvo engineers surely have a good reason to put them on the side, trust them. At least for that part.

If you are able to do some of the maintenance on your car, you will save a lot. I had mine for a bit over 6 months now and I can tell you, you need to be on the proactive side of maintenance if you want to enjoy your XC.

Marc
    Marc

XC 70 2005 | LAVA SAND

Default Thanks for responding

Yes, I meant to say fan continues to run, not engine. Thanks for clarifying.

And for confirming the carseat question. It was the same on my outgoing 4runner.

As for the cargo organizer, those of you that have it -- are you happy with it? Can I get it in black, or should I try to match the beige interior? Anyone interested in selling?

It's snowing heavily in Colorado, and I broke the Haldex in this morning. Sweeeeeeet. Now paired with new Goodyear Assurance Tripletread. Best all season, all wheel drive setup I've been behind yet.

Can a station wagon be badass?

Default Ooops

Cargo barrier, not organizer.

Jake, further info on the climate control. Taken from VADIS, Volvo's shop manual.

"The climate control module provides infinitely variable electronic blower fan control. When AUTO mode (ECC only) is engaged the climate control module (CCM) adapts the blower fan speed to the setting of the controls and the vehicle speed. The blower fan can be set to run-on in order to reduce residual moisture in the evaporator.

A timer located in the central electronic module (CEM) controls the run-on time. 50 minutes after the engine has been switched off and the ignition has been turned to position 0 or I, the central electronic module (CEM) supplies power to the climate control module (CCM) and the blower fan is activated at full speed for 7 minutes. This run-on dries the evaporator and prevents bad odors.

This function is programmed at the factory, but can be deactivated in the event of customer complaints via programming of customer parameters. Programming is carried out via VIDA."
    Marc

XC 70 2005 | LAVA SAND

As for the cargo organizer, those of you that have it -- are you happy with it? Can I get it in black, or should I try to match the beige interior? Anyone interested in selling?
    I don't think that the OEM steel cargo barrier comes in black, but you could always get one and apply some spray paint. After one month of use, I am very happy with mine. From a safety standpoint, I think it's a necessity if you're going to be driving around with heavy, loose objects in the back. Our dog is 65 lbs now and she rides with me/us frequently. The woman that I bought the barrier from was fortunate to have it when she went off the road and into a pond, totalling her XC; both she and her dog were unharmed (at least physically). She thinks that if the dog had been thrown to the front of the car, they both would have been badly hurt, or worse. And when you don't need the barrier, it flips up and out of the way in a second.

Default Found cargo barrier on Ebay

Here it is on ebay new for $100 less than my local dealer if anyone is interested. I'll wait a bit to see if a private seller pops up here or on Craigslist. I'm starting to think this is a necessity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...#ht_500wt_1177

Does anyone know what color "oak" is? I'm starting to wonder if my interior is oak instead of beige. At least I've got "grey" ruled out...

Here it is on ebay new for $100 less than my local dealer if anyone is interested. I'll wait a bit to see if a private seller pops up here or on Craigslist. I'm starting to think this is a necessity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...#ht_500wt_1177

Does anyone know what color "oak" is? I'm starting to wonder if my interior is oak instead of beige. At least I've got "grey" ruled out...
    Oak is beige....not sure why the ebay ad has a beige color part number and oak color part number. I wonder if by beige they really mean "sand" color?
    I have beige interior for both my 2003 and 2007 XC70's and ordered steel barriers via Red Bank Volvo (the ebay seller) -- I just can't remember what part number I ordered, but I'll see if I can find the invoice and post back. Red Bank Volvo was very efficient in delivery, they are in NJ and I am in MD, and I got mine in about two days! Very pleased with the barriers.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

I could not locate my invoice, but did check some old emails (I emailed Red Bank Volvo before purchasing because I wanted to ensure I got the right color). I purchased P/N 30740754, which is the "oak" colored one. It matches my interior perfectly.

I stand corrected, though, on my earlier post, oak is not beige. Oak is "taupe". My cars have the taupe (aka oak) interiors. Sorry for the confusion. If you think your interior is "oak" though, order 30740754. Good luck.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast