Thread: Broken Spring Seat Replacement Step by Step - After severe failure on one side.

Default Broken Spring Seat Replacement Step by Step - After severe failure on one side.

Hi, I took a bunch of pictures when I changed my front spring seat. Figured I'd share.

Background

I have 2002 V70XC with 400K km. I replaced most of the front end from 2011-2013 - basically everything except the spindles and sway bar. I re-replaced the tie rods last year, should have taken a look at the spring seats - the passenger side failed completely, shock went right through and bent the hood. I'd attributed the noise to the sway bar end links.

The Failure:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pushed back in.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	8707
    This is with it pushed back in a little after I took the weight off this corner with a jack (first step if the shock is coming up through the middle of the upper mount)

Name:	bent hinge.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	8708

I'll have some hinge straightening work at the end of this.

Taking it Apart:

This was OE style end link, so it had a Torx in the stud, and 18mm nut. Wasn't bad, a little WD40 and elbow grease and came off.

Name:	Taking off the end link.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	8709

This is what I use to relieve the stress on the sway bar when I've only got one side on a jack stand instead of the whole front end - the OE scissor jack under the brake rotor.

Name:	relieving the sway bar.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	8710

And the end link is removed from the strut assembly

Name:	end link off.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	8711

Remember to remove the wheel speed sensor (10mm deep socket) before this next step, or at least before removing the strut.

Next, we remove the two bolts attaching the strut assembly to the spindle:

Name:	removing the spindle bolts.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	8716

Remove the three bolts holding the upper bearing in place, and remove the strut assembly. Next, use a spring compressor to remove the pressure so the strut assembly can be disassembled. The spring seat was pushed back together a bit by the weight of the suspension when I jacked that corner, otherwise I would have had to put on the spring compressor before removal. I probably should have anyway, to be safe. As I like to tell people, this is the most dangerous tool I own. Tighten down evenly on both sides, use the locks, and watch the thing like a hawk. I've personally never had an issue, but that's a lot of potential energy.

Name:	Compressed spring.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	8717

Once the spring is loose, remove the top nut. T-60 Torx and 21mm wrench. If this is too hard to turn, make sure that your spring isn't still putting more force on the upper seat than you want when you take this apart. Not too big an issue right now, because the cross nut really takes the load.

Name:	removing the top nut.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	8718

Now the cross nut (not sure what it's really called) - I like this design, because if you can't get it off with your fingers, there's probably pressure on it from the spring, and you need to compress the spring further.

Name:	cross nut.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	8719
    Last edited by Viich; 07-07-2018 at 03:28 AM.