Thread: 2005 XC90 Hood Latch problem - need some help!

Default 2005 XC90 Hood Latch problem - need some help!

So our 'new' 2005 XC90 has many replacement/repairs in the que. Problem is that when I go to release the hood latch I fear I am going to break the plastic latch inside of the car. I can get it to release if my son pushes down on the hood while I pull the latch....but that is not going to do. Any ideas why this is binding and what I can do to help to fix it? Thanks!

If pushing the hood down makes the hood release easier then something is pushing the hood upwards harder than is needed. There will be something to adjust bump stops/adjusters for the hood. Lowering them will let the hood sit lower placing less stress on the hood latch release system. Down side could be that you will change the height of the hood compared to the fenders.

If the hood lines up flush to the body, then you might consider putting a shim under the hood latch mechanism. Raising it up a tad will have the same effect as pushing down on the hood. I'd also look at the cable to see if the cable length needs slight adjustment (shortening).

I guess it probly wouldn't hurt to spray some WD40 in the latch mechanism, clean out any gunk that's in there, and lube the moving parts and see if that frees things up a bit. Maybe you already tried this...
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Thanks alot for the suggestions! I will say that the hood looks fine, lined up well to fender/wing panels and not looking raised or recessed. I will look for any adjusters and see if i can well, adjust them! I did look for anything pushing up on the hood but did not find anything? I sprayed what I could see for cables but there is not much - aside from the latches on both sides of the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Hol View Post
    Thanks alot for the suggestions! I will say that the hood looks fine, lined up well to fender/wing panels and not looking raised or recessed. I will look for any adjusters and see if i can well, adjust them! I did look for anything pushing up on the hood but did not find anything? I sprayed what I could see for cables but there is not much - aside from the latches on both sides of the hood.
    Ah ha! The rubber bumpers on the hood are like screws, canbe moved in and out to adjust where the hood sits. I did not make this connection at all. Screwed in the rubber bumpers all the way and it is opening MUCh easier now and alignment of hood still seems fine. Will watch it on the highway to make sure it is not too loose but think this did it for me! I am not sure how they got to be so bad as it was not that way when we bought the car a couple of weeks ago but just added a new trick to my bag. Thanks everyone!

I did put some bearing grease on mine where it touches the hooks.. the way these fail is at the cable right at the releasing lever, the cable gain cracks and doesn't properly pull the cable any long. Some had luck disconnecting the cable from the handle, cutting off a portion of the gain, then pulling on the cable with a pliers.. pretty getto but replacing the cable is not that easy (a used one from the junk yard could do if it looks in shape)