Default Brakes ticking, ABS light.

When I start up my 2003 XC70 the ABS light is on. Once I start moving the ABS light goes off and I can hear a ticking noise that sounds like its going from one brake to the next. Once I hit around 10 mph the ticking stops, the ABS light comes on and stays on until the car is shut off again.

I have pulled the front ABS sensors and cleaned them off. I tried to pull the rears but I couldn't get them out. I blew out both the front and rear ABS rings with compressed air.

Any ideas?

Scan the control units with VIDA or a good scan tool that can talk to Volvo ABS and see what codes are stored first.

Are the reluctor rings sound, no cracks, corrosion or out of location or loose?

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Scan the control units with VIDA or a good scan tool that can talk to Volvo ABS and see what codes are stored first.
    Yeah still saving up for the ole VIDA. You know the person that sells them and a Windows 7 laptop by chance?

Will have a better look at them later. Do you know how to see the rears? They are pretty covered up back there seems like you'd have to pull the hub.

The fronts are usually the problem with failed rings, rears are part of the hub, seldom fail.

[QUOTE=AKAMick;201587]The fronts are usually the problem with failed rings, rears are part of the hub, seldom fail.[/QUOTE

Hmmmm I replaced the front driveshafts a year ago so I would think they are still good.

[QUOTE=RockOcean;201589]
    Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    The fronts are usually the problem with failed rings, rears are part of the hub, seldom fail.[/QUOTE

Hmmmm I replaced the front driveshafts a year ago so I would think they are still good.
    Then i'm out of suggestions, they should not be a problem then, maybe something came loose, axle bolt?
    Last edited by AKAMick; 06-27-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Worth making a physical inspection. The rings can look ok but still be broke. They are so cheap to replace but it does involve a little work but very doable as DIY mechanic. I did mine this year, couldn't believe they lasted so long given how corroded they were after 17 years!
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver