Thread: ECM/TCM Box Air Duct

Question ECM/TCM Box Air Duct

So I've been chasing intermittent "electrical" issues for the past year or so. It always seemed to be around warm weather so after testing the battery and voltage at a couple points and determining that was all good, I started to assume the CEM. A lot of the symptoms mimmic that of a failing CEM. Sent that away to Xemodex and they found a fault but it passed the heat stress test. Reinstalled it and everything seemed normal but a day later driving home from work DIM died and transmission clunked. Pulling over and restarting the car resulted in a very common to me now crank but no start. I was pretty much at my wits end thinking at 291k miles maybe it time to throw in the towel. I wasn't about to chase down every module and start going one by one to find out what was causing the can bus to shut down. As sort of a last resort I figured I'd spend a few bucks and get an ECM tool and clean the connectors for good measure. Well that came in today and in pulling out the ECM and TCM to clean the connectors I noticed the air duct to the ECM box was completely disconnected. Which meant every time it would call for some air it was just opening into the engine bay. Well I think I found the culprit (fingers crossed). Now here is the thing, I couldn't for the life of me get it reconnected, pulled out the power steering res and coolant res to make some room and I just couldn't figure out how to close that gap. Do they shrink or something? I ended up using the foam insulation bit at the end and pulling that out to kind of bridge the gap with zip ties as a crimp. But I would not think that is how it was from the factory, does anyone have a picture of how that is routed from the firewall to the computer box? Putting everything back together car worked perfectly but only time will really tell. I'm really hoping for the end of the saga though.

Picture of pipe pulled off: https://imgur.com/k5xLHqI

I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it here.

UPDATE: Looked at it as promised and tried to take a picture without pulling too much stuff out. The hose is clearly attached at both ends and, in my case, has a little play in it. Here's the photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	8701
    Last edited by goldxc70; 06-24-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it here.

UPDATE: Looked at it as promised and tried to take a picture without pulling too much stuff out. The hose is clearly attached at both ends and, in my case, has a little play in it. Here's the photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	8701

Thanks for posting this, I guess I did put it back together right. I guess over the years the foam has just lost its grip in my case. Hope those zip ties keep it in place. Thanks again for the picture.