Default Transmission "clank" when engaging D or R / D engages in two stages -- 2004 xc70

Hello all,

Currently shopping, found a car today that I pretty much like, a 2004 with 240k kms... but.

After a 10-minute test drive, the transmission made a loud clank when engaging D or R. Didn't notice it when cold.

Also, D seemed to engage in two stages: a noticeable thud when first engaged, then a softer, second thud a split second later.

I should note that the car has been parked since last December, aside from two recent and very short test drives (plates are expired). I was willing to take a chance today so went further.

Thoughts, advice? Thanks.

Any issues with the transmission on these cars, unless you are capable of doing the repair yourself, you should be advised to stay away,

Transmission issues always show up when the car is warmed up because the fluid is hot, and therefore thin.

Thin fluid simply doesn't move parts as well as thick fluid....

"Clank" could be:

1. Worn engine mounts allowing engine shift
    2. Worn solenoids allowing low operating pressure and delayed engagement.
    3. Tired fluid that's way past its life
    4. A worn out transmission

I wouldn't buy this car unless it was both; really cheap, and you have the $$ for a transmission.

It could just be fluid or a mount... but diagnosing on the internet is so very difficult...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

It MIGHT be...
    Low ATF fluid, dirty ATF fluid, Low fluid pressure due to worn Valvebody, early sign of trans failure.

If it's making a metallic "clank" sound, yikes!

Current owner should check ATF level, then replace fluid. Did he say if any work's been done on the trans?
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post

I wouldn't buy this car unless it was both; really cheap, and you have the $$ for a transmission.

It could just be fluid or a mount... but diagnosing on the internet is so very difficult...
    Thanks. I can likely get it for C$1200. So the cheap part is there. But not sure I want to change a trans.

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    It MIGHT be...
    Low ATF fluid, dirty ATF fluid, Low fluid pressure due to worn Valvebody, early sign of trans failure.

If it's making a metallic "clank" sound, yikes!

Current owner should check ATF level, then replace fluid. Did he say if any work's been done on the trans?
    I slapping myself in the head that I didn't check the trans fluid. My current ride is one with no trans dipstick, so I lost the habit.

The trans performed perfectly on the road, so I was surprised when this happened. I did the test as a sort of afterthought as I was about to leave.

No, no work done on the trans but he says Haldex replaced (there is reference to the work on a $3.3k invoice but no clear part reference).

The owner was clearly upset when he heard the sound. He came to the driver door and said "WTF was THAT?" with the look of someone whose car just pulled the rug out from underneath him, as he was trying to sell it (been to that party myself).

Man I wish I could just go out and buy a nice 740 wagon. Things were so much simpler....

Thanks for all the input. I wrote a longer reply but apparently it was sent for moderator review, probably as I used a certain acronym for an expression the vendor uttered when he heard the noise....

Gist of my reply:

- no trans work done....
    - said Haldex has "been replaced" (showed me $3.3k bill, also incl. front axles), but I wonder if it was pump and seals (very cryptic bill)....
    - didnt think to check ATF as my current car has no dipstick, so I've got away from habit....
    - trans and driveline seemed flawless in normal driving....

Thanks for everyone's input.

Hard call for me as I liked the car. Have driven four so far, this was by far best in terms of driving feel and body condition, and that's including a 2006 with 100k less.
    Last edited by volvhalla; 06-16-2018 at 10:47 AM.

A general note of advice you'll find in these pages: When buying a 14-year old Volvo, restrict your choices to cars that were proveably well-maintained,
    thru service records, CarFax records, stickers on engine, clean test drive, no abnormal noises, etc. A Volvo that has had maintenance deferred/neglected is a bad bet. If you're patient and
    know market prices, you'll find a good one. Also, look up how to test PCV suction. It's a red flag for the engine blowing an oil seal if there's no suction.

The price you mentioned is just barely above what an inoperative Volvo is sold for parts or needing major reconditoning & repairs.
    Last edited by pbierre; 06-16-2018 at 07:31 PM.