Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manual Transmission after automatic issues.

There are multiple solenoids in the valve body - I've been through this myself, just slightly different symptoms.

Aside from all of the intricate details described above, the first course of action should be the fluid flush.
    I've read too many posts about this over the past year or more and its a VERY common cause and cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Last_Legs View Post
    By surge I mean my foot was on the brake as I slowed into a parking spot. Just before I stopped completely the car seemed to lunge forward enough to be noticeable, maybe an inch or less.

They said the fluid was fine and it was full. The desk guy showed me that shifting was very much the same as a paddle shifter in that there was no manual clutch.

So driving home it felt smooth in manual. Only a slight pulling when I down shifted too early, same as any manual. it was shifting without any noticeable problems. I haven't tried to back it up. Putting it in Park was no problem.

Brett - I'm wondering if it was the solenoid! And I wonder if they actually looked at anything! If it is the solenoid, that's controlling the autotrans. Right? And so in manual if I understand this correctly, I can drive until I can afford a new solenoid.
    You haven't made it clear whether there are any shifting issues. You said you drove the car to the mechanic after the check engine light came on. Did it exhibit any shifting issues?

The most informative piece of information you can give right now is the fault code. Presumably the shop mechanic read the fault code. I would expect it to be noted on your invoice. If not, they're not cool.

If you don't have any shifting issues in automatic mode, clear the fault code and drive it. Regardless, I'd change your fluid if you've never done it.

Brett

Last_Legs, is the trans operating so poorly that you're hesitant to leave the car in Automatic, drive around for 15-30 min., and report back to us on the shifting problems you're having? If all you've experienced is a "surge" or "lunge forward" when slowing down to park, why drive in Manual? "Surging" can be caused by other things than a faulty transmission!

Without more info, we're all just taking shots in the dark. The standard advice for anyone having trans issues is to first check the level, then change the fluid with JWS-3309 spec (Mobil ATF 3309, for example), especially if you don't know the last time it's been done. To save money, search for "Gibbons Method" and order the ATF and flush kit (IPD has one).
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Assuming you've flushed and replace the tranny fluid, used the correct fluid, and filled to the proper "hot" level,

The difference between Geartronic manual vs. automatic shifting draws attention to the shaft-speed sensors and TEM module. When using manual mode,
    the shift lever (+) or (-) tells the TEM to upshift or downshift. When in "D" or "W" mode, the Input Shaft Speed Sensor (ISSS) and Output Shaft Speed Sensor(OSSS) have to be working correctly, since these govern the decision of when to upshift and downshift. (I'm not sure how the accelerator kickdown
    forces a downshift, but it's via an input to the TEM).

The mechanical gears and bands don't know "who" is saying to downshift...that's hidden away on the TEM's input side.

So, if the car drives smoothly using manual mode, chances are good that you're not damaging the mechanisms.

If the shaft speed sensors are failing, that's a tranny rebuild, a replacement tranny, or (gulp!) a new ride. 4th option...keep your manual XC70.
    Last edited by pbierre; 06-15-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: 4th option

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12