Default 2005 XC90 2.5T P2401/P2419 eval system leak, signal low

Hi,

Starting a new thread for this topic. I recently got a 2005 XC90 2.5T AWD and am starting to tune it up and right some of the wrongs that have been done to it by the prior owner(s). I see 4 error codes via my iCarsoft VOLII tester - but it appears that it is the same error message repeated twice? These 2 OBD error codes that are triggering CEL. I cleared them and they went away - only to come back a few day s later. The codes are:

P2401 Volvo evaporative emission system leak detection pump control circuit low
    P2401 -- ECM-433D -- Leakage diagnostic unit, pump -- Signal too low
    -and-
    P2419 Volvo evaporative emission system switching valve control circuit low
    P2419 -- ECM-432D -- Leak diagnostic unit, valve -- Signal too low

Does anyone have any debug/repair suggestions for these? Appreciate it!

Thanks,

You can easily use VIDA to help diagnose those (and other) codes. An illegal (working) copy of Vida and a cloned dice unit can be purchased for ~$82.

But you probably have a bad leak detection pump. Can your current code reader run a evap self test?

Thanks - and sorry for the delay in getting back! My current tester cannot perform the leak test but I am going to get a DICE/VIDA unit ASAP to see what I can find. Just FYI - the evap pump was replaced and the CEL still comes on so something else is wrong. I did notice that the prior pump was also a replacement - and that no cable clamps were on one hose and the other had tie wraps instead of worm gear clamp. I put worm gear clamps on both and tightened it up good.....but error persists. I guess I will wait for the DICE unit and come back and post what I find when I scan using that? tks - Tim

Had to get new key programmed at dealer and asked them to take a look at these error codes. Bit the bullet and let them do an hour of diag. While they were not 100% guaranteeing this to solve the issue, they traced a short in this circuit to the cable harness under the driver front seat. Seems that water infiltrated and the copper connectors were black. They cleaned as best they could and shrink wrapped it back up and the persistent code did not return. I do not see this code anymore either but the MA state inspection station could not 'see' the evap system for some reason? Going to go back today as I am hoping that putting some miles on it will get all systems back on line and communicating with the ECM. Any thoughts here? Also, the harness that they found - wondering what kind of job it would be to replace that harness?

PS - I did get a VIDA/DICE unit and it saw this issue, but I have not hooked it up again to see if it is able to see all systems
    Last edited by T-Hol; 08-21-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: missed PS item

Quote Originally Posted by T-Hol View Post
    Had to get new key programmed at dealer and asked them to take a look at these error codes. Bit the bullet and let them do an hour of diag. While they were not 100% guaranteeing this to solve the issue, they traced a short in this circuit to the cable harness under the driver front seat. Seems that water infiltrated and the copper connectors were black. They cleaned as best they could and shrink wrapped it back up and the persistent code did not return. I do not see this code anymore either but the MA state inspection station could not 'see' the evap system for some reason? Going to go back today as I am hoping that putting some miles on it will get all systems back on line and communicating with the ECM. Any thoughts here? Also, the harness that they found - wondering what kind of job it would be to replace that harness?

PS - I did get a VIDA/DICE unit and it saw this issue, but I have not hooked it up again to see if it is able to see all systems
    Just closing this out (for now anyway). The code is gone and car has passed inspection. The ECM just needed to run for a while to sync with all of the computers. The one new code for Tstat/TCM was addressed by replacing the Tstat assembly. Back in action!! Thanks all.