Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hard shifting into drive

Hi Guys.

As the title states, my 2002 V70 XC has been shifting pretty hard into drive, most notably right after I start the car. It seems to be less noticeable after I have already gone into drive once. Throughout the research I have done, I have seen recommendations for a trans flush, software update, adaption mode reset, and solenoid repair/replacement. Once in drive, all gears 1-5 shift fine, it is only when shifting through garage gears into drive. What do you all think is the best course of action for fixing this? I have repair experience so im pretty confident on doing things myself to save money.

Also, I have noticed slight wobble when accelerating and at higher speeds, also a slight pull to the right, especially on roads with a significant crown. If anyone has suggestions for that, any advice is a huge help! Thanks!

Do the cheap fixes first, trans flush should be done, the ATF is not for life. check the suspension and tire wear for indicators.

Have you checked the fluid level?

Drive the car for a good 20 minutes to warm the transmission. Leave the car idling, in park, on perfectly level ground and check the level.

Do that first, report back.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I also vote for fluid flush - been down this road before and about to do it again for delayed shifting in my case....

Wobble or vibration under acceleration can be a clear indicator of worn axles - if you find its not tire or wheel related, search a lot before buying replacement axles as Volvos are over $600 each.
    Some have had good luck with 3rd party axles but you'll want to research that first.... I have 3rd party axles through IPD that still vibrate ever so slightly under acceleration at low speeds but its liveable given the cost of Volvos.

Hard into drive when cold (poor garage shift, in other words) that gets better when warm, is a classic sign of low fluid.

I think the OP is doing a ton of web searching before doing the most basic troubleshooting step: checking fluid level.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Hard into drive when cold (poor garage shift, in other words) that gets better when warm, is a classic sign of low fluid.

I think the OP is doing a ton of web searching before doing the most basic troubleshooting step: checking fluid level.
    I have checked the fluid level, and if anything it is overfilled. When the car is warm it reads about an inch above the 'hot' section of the dipstick.

As for the internet searching, yes absolutely I am know for over analyzing haha. Just want to be able to think about all possible problems and learn as I go! Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by AutosDirectFlorida View Post
    I also vote for fluid flush - been down this road before and about to do it again for delayed shifting in my case....

Wobble or vibration under acceleration can be a clear indicator of worn axles - if you find its not tire or wheel related, search a lot before buying replacement axles as Volvos are over $600 each.
    Some have had good luck with 3rd party axles but you'll want to research that first.... I have 3rd party axles through IPD that still vibrate ever so slightly under acceleration at low speeds but its liveable given the cost of Volvos.
    Both front axles have been replaced over the past 50k miles (car only has 131k). these repairs were not done while I had the car.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    Do the cheap fixes first, trans flush should be done, the ATF is not for life. check the suspension and tire wear for indicators.
    Not sure how precise or reliable this check was, but I measured from the top of the wheel well to the ground on both front tires, and found that the left side is nearly an inch and a quarter higher than the right side. Again, not sure how precise this was, but what else can I do to check the suspension? what would be my first course of action to do that and what should I look for?

Tire wear is even on all 4 tires. Thanks for the response!

Check for a broken spring on the low side, tip breaks at the spring seat area, not always easy to see it. ATF over the hot fill line is too much,

Quote Originally Posted by sumner_nick View Post
    I have checked the fluid level, and if anything it is overfilled. When the car is warm it reads about an inch above the 'hot' section of the dipstick.
    Take a few more readings on your ATF level. If the car isn't adequately warmed up (fluid temp at 80C), then the level on the dipstick could read BELOW the Hot mark. For your fluid level to be an inch ABOVE the Hot mark, I would think the ATF is way overfilled or the temp of your fluid is a lot higher than 80C. Generally, you'd have to do a lot of hard driving for an extended period to get the fluid temp way above 80C. The first suggestion for trans issues by VIDA, the online shop manual, is usually to check the fluid level and quality. I'd try to verify you have the ATF level correct before drawing any conclusions.

Also, could you give more details when you say "shifting hard into drive". Delayed engagement? Harsh engagement? You put the shifter into "D" and you hear a loud, ugly clunk?
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast