Thread: shock and strut assemblies for 2007 XC70

Default shock and strut assemblies for 2007 XC70

I'm hearing a lot of noises from my suspension (price I pay to live on a brick street) that has ~80k miles and figure I'm going to have to replace the shocks/struts. I see that they sell assemblies with new springs/bushings, any thoughts on using these versus getting the parts separately and fighting the springs?? Thanks

Compressing the strut springs is nothing a novice should attempt, all depends on skill level and a good solid spring compressor. Springs can and do fail on XC's so a new strut set with springs can put that possibility aside. Noise can come from other worn suspension items, it should be inspected before just throwing a strut set at it.

Quote Originally Posted by youngstrom View Post
    I'm hearing a lot of noises from my suspension
    Most common problem is the spring seat/strut cushion/strut mount. Very common to break and cause a loud bang or klunk or just a crunching noise over bumps. 8646713 is the old number, or 30683637, very easy to test for. And much less expensive than complete replacement, if the struts are still ok

Test by trying to turn the nut on top of the strut with a wrench, if it turns, the cushion is broken.

I strongly advise you to replace the front struts and the spring seats and bearings. I have done this once before on my daughter's little Fiat Uno which was a longish DIY job but perfectly doable. I also replaces the lower wishbones at the same time. Yes, spring compression is a tough and potentially dangerous job so, buy or hire good quality compressor tool and preferably have someone to help. Also take your time and tripple check the steps. I actually found working on my 01 xc70 very easy and because I marked the strut turret mounts first before undooing them, the alignment was spot on after the fitting. I also changed both lower suspension or control arms and lower ball joints. The improvement in the handling and stearing is a phenominal improvement. The M.O.T testing station here noted "I had had a lot of work done" - worth every penny ($).
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

For what it's worth, I found that the extra cost of getting the complete assembly with springs is well worth it, I can and have done the individual parts route and can say that undoing 4 bolts and being done with both sides in an hour is a really nice option. I did this with my 07 xc70, and the extra 50 dollars a side for OEM complete strut assembly is worth it.