Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Dashboard and power driver seat are dead, car drives fine

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default Dashboard and power driver seat are dead, car drives fine

    A weird thing happened to my son's 2004 XC70 yesterday: driver's power seat and dashboard are completely dead, but the car drives fine. I also noticed that I can start it without depressing a break pedal.

    * all lights work (DRLs, turning lights, stop lights)
    * dashboard is completely dead, AC button and ventilation fan lights are dead
    * power driver seat is dead
    * windows work fine
    * radio module works fine
    * car drives absolutely fine

    What the problem could be? I checked the cables under the driver's seat - they seem to be all plugged.

    I did read posts about the DIM problems - doesn't seem to be the same as our problem.
    2004 Volvo XC70
    2012 Volvo XC60 T6
    2018 Volvo XC90 T5

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Western Head, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,019

    Default

    Could be a bad DIM. When mine went out in my '02 XC, it seemed to freak out the network and I had all kinds of errors come up on VIDA and multiple function failures. I pulled the negative battery cable for a few minutes to re-boot the systems and most functions came back leaving me with the more definitive errors that pointed to a failed DIM. Anyway, might try pulling the negative cable for a few minutes and see what comes back when it is re-connected (per the usual instructions and warnings, of course). If possible, a VIDA scan will be very helpful once you have the systems re-powered as well.

    Good Luck,

    Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-118K mi to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-270K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '98 V70-gone @390k kms
    '91 744GL-killed by son @ 220K kms
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    '90 744T w/Turbo Plus-killed by son @260K mi
    '78 245-killed by wife @166K mi
    '76 265-gas hog gone
    And other misc. Euro stuff

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    Could be a bad DIM. When mine went out in my '02 XC, it seemed to freak out the network and I had all kinds of errors come up on VIDA and multiple function failures. I pulled the negative battery cable for a few minutes to re-boot the systems and most functions came back leaving me with the more definitive errors that pointed to a failed DIM. Anyway, might try pulling the negative cable for a few minutes and see what comes back when it is re-connected (per the usual instructions and warnings, of course). If possible, a VIDA scan will be very helpful once you have the systems re-powered as well.

    Good Luck,

    Bill
    Yes, I've tried to "reboot" the car by disconnecting the negative battery cable. It was actually the first thing I did. Everything stays the same, no movement on the dashboard at all. Plus, after reading on DIM failures it is my understanding that cars up to 2003 vintage are prone to those problems.

    Can you guys recommend a good VIDA code reader? Thanks!
    Last edited by Palisandr; 05-13-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    2004 Volvo XC70
    2012 Volvo XC60 T6
    2018 Volvo XC90 T5

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Western Head, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Palisandr View Post
    Yes, I've tried to "reboot" the car by disconnecting the negative battery cable. It was actually the first thing I did. Everything stays the same, no movement on the dashboard at all. Plus, after reading on DIM failures it is my understanding that cars up to 2003 vintage are prone to those problems.

    Can you guys recommend a good VIDA code reader? Thanks!
    You are correct in stating that MY'01-'03 were prone to DIM problems, but it is not unheard of in MY'04s or even later. The source of the issues in the later years just isn't as systemic as in the earlier years. But with that said, you look like you've had a more system-wide failure but note that many times a failure of a single component can have a cascading effect. As an example, I just had a failure of the PEM due to a corrosion-induced short. I had no fuel flow so I knew from experience that it was either the PEM or the pump; but the VIDA scan produced all kinds of errors, some of which were "caused" by the misfires that low fuel flow caused rather than the systems indicated. Anyway, upon replacing the PEM and clearing all the errors, I still showed upon a re-scan all kinds of errors including Cyl 5 misfires. A battery reboot sorted all of that. Now you have said that the reboot didn't help so the other question is, is your battery in good nick? Low current ability (vs. low voltage) can have a widespread effect on any number of the CPUs in the system on these cars as a other "shot in the dark". Because all your failures seem unrelated on the surface, it is sort of a guessing game at this point. Even a scan with a generic scanner might give you a better starting point to sort this; but VIDA will be more definitive albeit with the possibility that it too may produce false errors as my example hopefully pointed out.

    Good Luck,

    Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-118K mi to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-270K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '98 V70-gone @390k kms
    '91 744GL-killed by son @ 220K kms
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    '90 744T w/Turbo Plus-killed by son @260K mi
    '78 245-killed by wife @166K mi
    '76 265-gas hog gone
    And other misc. Euro stuff

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pleasanton CA USA
    Posts
    166

    Default

    A simple way to rule out a low, transient battery voltage during engine startup is to use a 2nd battery or vehicle and jump-start the Volvo.

    Have you inspected all 4 fuse panels? (Recommend to photograph panel if you plan to remove any fuses for testing). The electrical diagrams you can find online give the fuse designations.

    Next stop: VIDA or a Volvo-specific ODB-II scanner (consider iCarSoft), then post the fault messages.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    A simple way to rule out a low, transient battery voltage during engine startup is to use a 2nd battery or vehicle and jump-start the Volvo.

    Have you inspected all 4 fuse panels? (Recommend to photograph panel if you plan to remove any fuses for testing). The electrical diagrams you can find online give the fuse designations.

    Next stop: VIDA or a Volvo-specific ODB-II scanner (consider iCarSoft), then post the fault messages.
    Checked and tested the fuses - all are fine. Only found three fuse boxes: under the hood, to the left of the dash and in the back Battery is good too - started it while connected to another car. Nothing helped. Scanner came in today. Let's see if it will help in diagnostics

    Thank you all for suggestions and I'll keep you updated.
    2004 Volvo XC70
    2012 Volvo XC60 T6
    2018 Volvo XC90 T5

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,336

    Default

    I believe fuse 24 feeds the DIM, but it also feeds other items, see drawing.
    These should also have been dead if the DIM fuse was blown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pages from V70 XC70 XC90 Electrical Drawings.jpg  
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Western Head, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Palisandr View Post
    Checked and tested the fuses - all are fine. Only found three fuse boxes: under the hood, to the left of the dash and in the back Battery is good too - started it while connected to another car. Nothing helped. Scanner came in today. Let's see if it will help in diagnostics

    Thank you all for suggestions and I'll keep you updated.
    The “missing” fourth fuse block is in the drivers side footwell to the left of the steering column.

    Cheers,

    Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-118K mi to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-270K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '98 V70-gone @390k kms
    '91 744GL-killed by son @ 220K kms
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    '90 744T w/Turbo Plus-killed by son @260K mi
    '78 245-killed by wife @166K mi
    '76 265-gas hog gone
    And other misc. Euro stuff

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I believe fuse 24 feeds the DIM, but it also feeds other items, see drawing.
    These should also have been dead if the DIM fuse was blown.
    That was exactly fuse 24 from the diagram! Both, dash and driver's seat work now. If you, Sir, ever in Denver count on beers from me. We have a lot of good microbrews

    Now the "SRS-Airbag service urgent" popped up - I'll clear it with VIDA once I install it on my laptop.
    2004 Volvo XC70
    2012 Volvo XC60 T6
    2018 Volvo XC90 T5

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Palisandr View Post
    That was exactly fuse 24 from the diagram! Both, dash and driver's seat work now. If you, Sir, ever in Denver count on beers from me. We have a lot of good microbrews
    Thank you very much for the offer!
    However, I doubt I will ever make it to Denver, I'm afraid I'm not much of a traveler
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •