Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Automobile AC is not the Voodoo science most people seem to think it is, pretty simple stuff, with a decent vac pump and set of gauges you can DIY, Danny good luck with it.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 05-12-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Default Job Well Done

Ok, I took the hot Memorial Day Weekend as proper motivation (and proper time available too) to service my A/C system. Replacing the A/C Pressure Sensor was a breeze once I removed the front bumper, which was also not very difficult. T25 Torx screw driver and 10mm socket with extension. Plus some trim tools to pry off the plastic tabs on top.

I used a pair of channel locks to unscrew the Pressure Sensor, as the hex fitting was bigger than my largest end wrench. It came off easily. A little green oil bubbled out, but not much, and I used that to lube the new o-ring on the inside of the pressure sensor.

My mechanic reported a leak from the High Side Port, so I bought a new valve from Tasca. I also bought tools listed on this thread for quick removal of valve cores. As it turned out, those tools didn't work for my valve. The teeth of the tool weren't long enough to get around the depressed valve stem and reach into the slots of the valve core. Cool tools though https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-AC-R1...wAAOSwxxVZgXKz

I ended up getting the valve out with a very small flat head screwdriver. Since I had no refrigerant in the system, I didn't need to maintain pressure with the valve tool, so that worked out well.
    I used manifold gauges from Walmart and a Harbor Freight vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on my system. It held -30 for 15 minutes, so then I pumped another half an hour or so to remove all moisture and any dirt. I added some UV dye and 24 oz. of r134a refrigerant. Cold air the rest of the weekend and still blowing cold this week. It's oh so glorious.

Two things for the forum experts here.
    1) I didn't add any oil. Based on my understanding of the service I was doing, I don't think it was necessary, but as I let that vacuum run and run, I found myself wondering if I could be drying out the lubrication. Thoughts?

2) I lost just a bit of refrigerant when I had a leaky connection between r134a can and gauge hose. MY 05 sticker says 1.54 lbs of r134a I was already only adding 1.5 lbs because that is exactly (2) 12 oz. cans. Attached are A/C Pressure graphs as I run the A/C full blast, turn it off, then turn it back on again while the car is idling. Do you all think I have sufficient pressure? I'm no longer getting any error codes, but just thought I'd check.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC Pressure Graph.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	8619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC Pressure Graph 2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	8620

That amount is pretty insignificant, top off with an oil charge, they come in small charge cans, your pressures are best read using the compound gauges, high and low side and the ambient temps, but close is good enough, nice job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12