Thread: Transmission

Question Transmission

V70 Xc 1998: runs smooth, but I'll reach a red light, stop, and then when I need to accelerate the RPM meter jumps to 2 and the car takes a while to start moving just starts to rev for maybe half a second to a second. There is also the flashing arrow indicating a fault. However I don't know what to do. Is there no transmission filter? Where is to change it and the dipstick shows black and dorty fluid. What should I do

Aw gees GET THE CODES READ
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

What does that even mean, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomVolvo View Post
    V70 Xc 1998: when I need to accelerate the RPM meter jumps to 2 and the car takes a while to start moving just starts to rev for maybe half a second to a second.

There is also the flashing arrow indicating a fault.

Is there no transmission filter?

the dipstick shows black and dorty fluid. What should I do
    If the transmission slips it could simply be low on fluid (But I doubt that's your problem)

Flashing arrow means a self diagnostic code is stored in At least the Transmission computer. You would "scan" the car with a scan tool to retrieve any stored codes that can point you in a general repair direction. VIDA with a dice unit is the Factory scanning software/hardware for 99 and up Volvos. It won't read a 1998. A generic tool might be able to read the car, I always used the Factory brand "autodiagnos" tool for 1996-1998 cars.

There is no transmission fliter.

Black and dirty fluid is not a good sign, fluid should be red. There is a drain plug and the transmission is filled thru the dipstick tube. A good thing is the fluid used does not need to be the expensive fluid as used in the later (2000? +) cars.

Changing the fluid at this point may make the symptoms worse

What should you do? - Probably look for another car to drive
    Last edited by hoonk; 04-14-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Change fluid first
    The only scan tool that can read a 98 is a VST2000 at a dealer
    If it's very black and if the fluid smells burned... the tranny is probably shot, your mileage would help here
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)