In May 2018 I bought a 15.5 XC70 Platinum CPO with 47,500 miles for $30,000 from a Volvo dealer. The warranty is 7 years/100,000 miles. Looking back I wish I'd taken my time with the purchase, especially driving the vehicle several times until I was certain this is the right vehicle. Buying a CPO is a used car that might have damage, defects and problems the dealership either does not know about, or ignores. The CPO inspection, which in my vehicle's case was not performed because I did not receive the inspection report, does not reveal things like oil consumption or a vibration while driving at high speed. More time spent in the car driving would have helped greatly in my decision making.

Several problems were identified after purchase. Some problems Volvo solved, some they did not. Easy problems such as Volvo On Call TEM unit not being activated at purchase and another electrical failure that left the car dead were solved quickly and at no cost. The high speed vibration was noticed a few weeks after purchase, and was temporarily solved by balancing the tire. The vibration returned two weeks after each successive tire balancing which indicates the problem lies elsewhere...that the tire is merely a symptom. Over five service visits, Volvo strangely refused to examine beyond the tire.

In my first 5,000 miles engine oil consumption became an issue. I recorded a consumption rate of one quart per 2,500 miles. Volvo's response to this varied widely depending on the dealership: One said Volvo no longer does engine rebuilds as a solution, instead relying on an Engine Restoration Kit (oil additives). Another dealership, after hearing about the oil additives, said this approach was entirely wrong and would do things differently.

In the first ten months I had six service appointments, one at a different dealership just for "fresh eyes" on the car's vibration issue. I was committed to fixing the car, but realized Volvo unfortunately was not. I had enough.

I contacted Volvo Cars USA with documentation of service history asking for their assistance. They are not interested in helping at all. The dealership, having been in touch with Volvo Cars USA about my case, changed its tone with me. They became terse, dismissive, and disinterested. After twenty good years with three XC70s, my experience has not ended well. It is clear the CPO program is limited, but more importantly, Volvo cares little for retaining customers and does not stand behind its product. I can no longer buy Volvo in confidence.

Take your time with the vehicle driving it. Try borrowing it for a few days if possible.
Look at the CPO inspection.
Pay close attention to past damage.
If something doesn't feel right--even if not a mechanical issue--walk away. Keep looking.