Default 3.2L Overheated after Serpentine Belt Broke

After much searching, I came to the conclusion I needed to post my questions. Hope there is an obvious source I missed!

While on the highway at speed I noticed that the steering became heavy, within about a minute a yellow light came on an the message stated something along the lines that I should slow down as the engine was too hot. I slowed down moved to the breakdown lane and exited the ramp (traveled ~300-400 yards) to a safe location after waiting at a stop sign for ~20 sec at idle. As I was on the ramp, before the stop sign, a red light and message came on that stated something like the car should be safely stopped and the engine shut off. The red light went off at the stop sign and came on again before the car was entirely stopped and parked. After shut off, the electric fan ran for about 1 minute. There was not a burned or hot smell at anytime. After an hour waiting for AAA, the car was started for less than a minute and driven onto the flatbed, with no unusual sounds/lights. The car was then towed to a Volvo dealer. I have been told that the serpentine belt broke due to a seized coupler and that the water pump should be replaced. This "service package" was estimated to cost $2000. The caveat being, that this a minimum that must be paid before they can determine whether or not the overheat condition did greater damage to the engine. The car has 160k miles. My other Volvo is a 1993 240, which still runs great and I am shocked at the cost of a belt and pump replacement (although seeing how this engine and components are positioned in the car, I do see there is some serious time needed to even get to the belt/pump).

The questions I have are: (1) How sensitive is the 3.2l engine to an overheat condition? Anyone have a probability guess based on experience as to whether the engine suffered other damage (and what type?). My concern is that I will flush $2k if the engine needs another $2k or more dumped into it. (2) I have looked at parts and estimate that I can get what I need (plus a power steering pump, which seems to fail according to what I have read after 150k miles), for about $800: is this a job that is doable with a fair amount of aggravation, or are there some serious pitfalls (read, it's worth $1200 to pay the dealer)? (3), anyone know the temperature thresholds for the two "idiot" warnings (yellow & red), and where are the sensors located (wanted to get a feel for what part(s) of the engine are being monitored with respect to the high temp)?

If anyone knows of a video out there that is specific to the 2008 xc70 3.2L that addresses the belt/pump/pump change, that would be very appreciated. Also, are there any service manuals out there in PDF form that are worth it?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

It is unfortunate that no one answered your question. I'll try.

The water pump in the 3.2 is buried under lots of stuff and can easily be a day's labor to change. So, be prepared. I'd change the water pump and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by tony1963 View Post
    It is unfortunate that no one answered your question. I'll try.

The water pump in the 3.2 is buried under lots of stuff and can easily be a day's labor to change. So, be prepared. I'd change the water pump and see what happens.

I agree with Tony, this is not a trivial 5 minute job.

Here is a link with pictures showing what's involved.

Note: this is for the XC70's first cousin but the procedure will be nearly identical as the Volvo 3.2 is used by Land Rover

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic284...highlight=belt

Its a good read, with enough information for you to decided if its something that you want to do

Good Luck

Paul

Are you confident to replace a serpentine belt DIY? You would replace the belt's idler and tensioner wheels. I think you'll see that it's worthwhile to replace the water pump if you go this far.

Many commenters suggest a maintenance budget of $2000-2500 / year for this car at 170K miles. Do you want to invest that much in this auction car?
    Is this car due for a timing belt replacement ($2400)??

From your description of the incident when the belt snapped, it doesn't sound like you overheated the engine to catastrophic level. Did you notice how high the temp. gauge went?

Sorry to read about this catastrophe. I did the whole job myself a year ago, replacing the weak FoMoCo parts - water pump, steering pump, serpentine belt, both idlers and the high pressure power steering line as well. With my inexperience with the 3.2 liter engine and taking extra care, I figure I spent about 30 hours total in labour - my own!. The parts, many bought new on eBay ran about $300 Canadian, plus $200 for the original power steering line. from Volvo USA It's a brute of a job due to poor design and inferior parts - even for a 50 year DIY Volvo mechanic (again moi). The timing belt/chain should last 200,000 km and that's when I get rid of my '08 XC70.

I suspect an experienced Volvo dealership mechanic could do the job in 10 hours, but at about $120 per hour (tax included) and dealership parts, this is a very expensive repair job. I have come to the conclusion that almost anything mechanical is designed to last 7 years at which time they hope you buy a new car or whatever. It sure goes against the grain for the DIY'er. Good luck or as we say in Canada "bonne chance".
    Last edited by CVOLVO; 02-11-2018 at 08:40 PM.