Default Unable to turn key to I position or further.

I parked my 2007 XC70 in the driveway about an hour ago and when my wife went to start it the key would turn far enough that the steering wheel lock disengages, mileage shows up and the heater and radio work but it won't go all the way to position I. Can't get the vehicle out of park either. Changed the battery in the key fob, disconnected the battery and reconnected and did much wiggling, locking and unlocking etc. with no success. Any suggestions?

PS: Just read the post by "gibbons" from 2010 in regards to stuck key etc. Sounds like the same problem as mine but would appreciate any other advice or info. Thanks.
    Last edited by mpeterso; 11-19-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Yup, stuck key. Happened to my '07 a couple years ago. Fortunately was reasonably close by (and it wasn't January...) and I could bypass it in the parking lot and get the car home.

You may be able to take it apart enough to remove the broken bits and get it working again, minus the locking steering column.

I replaced mine with a new dealer part and hacked up the old one enough for it to be an emergency replacement if it's ever needed again.

Further to my post after reading numerous threads here I tried the Russian trick of hitting the switch with a hammer! I removed the plastic covers, tapped the bottom of the mechanical switch (6 oz. ballpein hammer) with the key out and then with the key in and heard a click and the key would turn. I didn't have to hit it hard, just a light tap seemed to jiggle everything temporarily back in place. Backed the car into the Quonset so in case I have to have it towed it is at least facing the right direction and will order the new switch tomorrow. Believe it or not I had a similiar problem in 1973 with my 1971 144 but there was no electronics to deal with then, just the steering column lock.